DIY/DIM: Fake Bandhani Saree Maxi Skirt

Hello there!

I thought I would share yet another sewing project. I made this "fake" Bandhani Saree maxi skirt a while ago but I never go to wear it because as usual I am not satisfied with the end result. It was a very easy sewing project even for beginners. Here are some of the tutorials I used to make it : 




Turban - scarf stolen from my Mother
Studded tee - Brandmart
Cardigan - M.G. road
Maxi skirt - Did it Myself
Shoes - Reliance Footprint 


 I always wanted a Bandhani Saree maxi skirt. For those of you who do not know Bandhani, it is a style of tie dye famous in India particularly in Gujarat and Rajasthan.  Actually I tried this type of tie dye back at school and it looks relatively easy if not time consuming. 

Anyway, the reason why I wanted this skirt is because I fell in love with this look from Girlwithcurves.com. I did look for the same skirt at the market and even saw a really nice one. But I think that the seller -seeing that I was a foreigner- was trying to cheat me. So I let it go until I found this Saree at my favorite fabric shop. I bought it and went home to make a maxi skirt.






Even though I love the print and the colors, I hate the cheap chiffon material, which makes it hard to sew. Plus the sequins on the material keep on falling. To top it all, it is completely sheer so I always have to wear my petticoat underneath it.

  I had to go all the way to Jaipur to finally understand that my Bandhani was a fake. The real deal is usually made in cotton and of better quality. I ended up buying two real Bandhani Sarees but they are too beautiful for me to botch them with any sewing project of mine. So they will be sitting pretty until I develop better skills. And in the mean time I will try and rock my own fake Bandhani skirt until I find a better one. Maybe I should go back to that seller at the market?!!!

Comments

Most Popular

Korea Krazy

Best place to shop in Japan (Tokyo/ Yokohama)

Barbie shoes