Barbie shoes

Barbie Pink Shoes


Since I have been back in Japan, I have been so busy that I didn't have time to window shop (plus I am temporarily living in a not so hip part of town). However my daily trips to the supermarket and family restaurants made me notice something interesting/ strange I would like to call Barbie shoes.
I think every girl my age or younger living in rich or somehow developing countries knows what a Barbie doll is.I used to dream of owning one after I saw my cousins who came back from the US having a box full of them plus accessories/ I finally owned several of them including one of my favorite: a black Barbie. Anyway, remember the Barbie rubber shoes? They used to be in rubber and in pink color? Well, I saw the exact same thing one some Japanese woman's feet just a few days ago.
Now Barbie shoes are different from your usual rubber shoes or jelly sandals. They have heels and the pair I saw was bright pink. I wanted to learn more about the shoes. Therefore, I went online. On one of Japan's biggest online site (Rakuten), I discovered that they were several brands that offer the Barbie shoes but the one that caught my attention was one called Melissa.  It is a fashion house located in Brazil that designs plastic shoes. However, Melissa sees plastic as something that can be morphed into art. I am not sure I agree but their shoes are very pretty. They even design for Vivienne Westwood.


Vivienne Westwood Lady Dragon (about $300 @ Rakuten)


I do not mind wearing rubber shoes such crocs (now that they are prettier) or jelly sandals but I draw the line at Barbie shoes for the following reasons:
1- Although back in the days, I dreamt of being a Barbie (and finding my Ken) . I know now that it is physically impossible. Therefore, I do not need to borrow her wardrobe.
2- How comfortable rubber shoes with heels can be? I have not tried them, but with this heat, I can feel blisters forming themselves on my feet.
3- I am not crazy or fashion forward enough to go for Barbie shoes, as cute as the can be.
4- Last but not least: they are effing expensive ( excuse my French!) A pair can cost between 5000 Yen to 10.000 yen and more (between $56 and $114)

If I were to get rubber shoes, these I would consider:

Aco Design Rubber Shoes with flowers




Rubber shoes with Camelia flower

These shoes will only set me back for $12.

For more info about:

Melissa shoes
http://www.melissaplasticdreams.com/home
Rakuten
http://en.rakuten.co.jp/

Comments

GFS said…
I see those shoes in the mall...the rubber ones and I they are cute but it's just too hot in Houston to even think about wearing them!!

Most Popular

Korea Krazy

Best place to shop in Japan (Tokyo/ Yokohama)