Tioman getaway

Winter 2001, just after the events of 9/11 reshaped the entire world,  I traveled to Tioman Island, Malaysia. I stayed in Berjaya hotel where I ate, snorkeled and met some interesting people there. I rang the new year there. Fast forward 12 years, 1 marriage, two kids and 20 kilos later, I am back. The resort is not what it used to be but we are still having fun. The city is more developed which makes it easier to get out of the hotel. But we do not at all because we are quite content with what is here: cartoons on TV for rainy mornings, pool and beach for sunny afternoons and affordable local restaurant just outside of the hotel. It is a very simple and relaxing holiday.
Holidays at the beach should be simple and I do not need a lot to make me happy: good food, good bed, a book or two and Internet connection. I also discovered that I like sketching by the sea. I just wished I had taken my sketch book and pencils with me. But a pen and paper will have to do for now. Things like that happen when you decide to pack light. I only have two bottoms with me and one of them is actually a dress that I wear as a skirt. Never underestimates the power of black pants and a white skirt. For a moment I had doubted the dress/ skirt because it was white and floor length. It had rained heavily one night and I was worried to get mud stains on the hem. But the skirt held good. Plus it is in light fabric so it can dry easily if ever I feel like washing it.
Anyway today I am sharing with you pics of one of my fave outfit during the trip, pairing my fave black pants with a short Anarkali tunic. I could not resist this fun piece after seeing it on the racks. It was so colorful hence perfect for a day under the sun hanging by the beach or the playground.









Tunic - Star Bazaar
Pants - Max
Bangle - Moroccan stall at Africa Festa fair in Yokohama

After a week doing nothing in Tioman it was time to head back home. We transited via Changi airport in Singapore and had a lovely visit from one of our friend there. But let me tell you that now I have discovered my favorite airport of all time. Changi is the bomb. It has almost everything you need: restaurants catering local and international food, fast food joins open 24h, play area for the kids (the world longest slide among them), shops and not only the high end stuff you usually find at airport, lounge chairs where you can sleep or watch TV on a huge screen, free Wi-Fi, and what else....? I heard there are some lounges with pools. Obviously you will have to pay but if you are stuck there and need to recharge, why not? While we were there they were building a huge Sponge bob square pants attraction for the kids. Too bad it would officially open days later. But that just gave us a taste of what things would be come Xmas time. Our Singaporean friend told us that the government wants to make Changi airport not only a good airport but also a hangout destination for the locals. I am thinking they are doing great. I just wish to encounter more airports like this one in the future.

Comments

Most Popular

Korea Krazy

Best place to shop in Japan (Tokyo/ Yokohama)

Barbie shoes