The Muslim Met Gala



 Hello Hello!

Ramadan is finally over. My family and most people I know celebrated Eid last Thursday. As usual, after the prayer, we had our christians cousins over, ate good food, took pics with our Eid outfits and enjoy the day. 

Muslims have two major holidays, Eid El Fitr to mark the end of Ramadan, and Eid El Kabir two months later to celebrate the sacrifice of Ismael (Isaac in the Bible). It is a moment spent with family and friends, mainly eating and sharing some good times. But there is also something else we like to do, particularly in African countries. And that is dressing up. Eid is the perfect occasion to wear that brand new outfit. It is recommended to dress in a new and nice attire and attend the prayer on Eid.  In my country, the clothes are either traditonal or a mix with modern styles. In recent years, I had the occasion to discover more and more special outfits due to social media. People post on Instgram and Twitter using the hashtags: #SunuSelfieKorite #BlackOutEid or from the neighbor Gambia: #SunjKoriteh220. I am not going to lie: my favorite thing to do after Eid is sit in front of my phone checking all the fashion for hours. As a designer, it is a way to know what is happening trendwise in my country, but as a fashion lover, it is just pure joy. Somebody on Twitter called it the Muslim Met Gala and I could not find a more appropriate term for it. 

Today, I thought I would share some of my favorite looks I found on Twitter. Disclaimer: I did not receive permission from all of these looks so I apologize in advance to the persons. If you find yourself on this post  and do not want your photo here, please contact me and I will have it removed.

Let me start with my Aunt. She killed me with her simple Kaftan look. I love the fit and her make up and hair as well. 


@linguere23 

Now in true Senegalese fashion, we have three types of "traditional" attire: the Robe (maxi dress), the Boubou, and the Taille Basse (Peplum top and skirt). Let me start with my favorite which is the Boubou. If you do not already know, the Boubou is this huge tent like dress that is super wide and very comfortable. We like to have it embroidered or dyed. 


@amy_sall


Sorry I forgot her Twitter handle! Please tag her!


@ceesay_mama 


@jatounaa wearing the same Boubou her mother wore at her naming ceremony 23 years ago


@AmmieeJ_ 


@MellaNemesiss in a Petit Boubou (short Boubou) and pants


@musubakoto


@BBlackBarbie

Then, let us proceed to my second favotire: the Taille Basse, hugging all the curves and accentuating that waist and hips.


@_Diarra


@Confinedbaddie


@jukaliond


@JainabaFaye


@xyfatou

We finish the pictures with the dresses: this year's style is pretty much fitted but I did find a maxi dress:


@Rohieo


 @RafetFatima 


@zeyouuu


@TheJamaJack 


@NgaimaSesay


@miss_petite_J 


@ma_dinaaa
   
I hope that you got a glimpse of my people showing up and showing out for Eid. Fore more, please check the following hashtag: SunuselfieKorite or SunjKoriteh220 on Instagram and Twitter. 


My Eid look: SINNIATURE 



Comments

Most Popular

Korea Krazy

Best place to shop in Japan (Tokyo/ Yokohama)

Barbie shoes