Ramadan Baskets and Ramadan Sugar

 Hello Hello

We have entered our fourth week of Ramadan. It is getting harder and harder to wake up happy in the morning and eat. But we thank GOD.


Dress with matching scarf - Sinniature
Shoes - Thrifted
Ring - Numero Uno

Today I want to discuss a new tradition in my country during Ramadan: Ramadan baskets.

What are Ramadan baskets? They are gift baskets which people (mostly women) offer to their relatives or in laws during Ramadan. The craze started a few years back. I am not even sure who is responsible for it. All I know is that in the last decade it has taken momentum. Now we cannot have a Ramadan without Ramadan baskets. 

Traditionally in my country, people were sharing their food during Ramadan with the poor. On top of that, it was also a tradition to give sugar to family members. It is called "Sukeurou Koor", Ramadan Sugar in wolof. I think people gave sugar because Senegalese people would eat breakfast twice a day during Ramadan for Suhoor and Iftar, which means that their consumption of sugar would also increase. As the years passed, sugar was replaced with money and other gifts. When I was younger, I remember that my mother used to cook a nice Iftar diner that she would give to her sisters in law. Some of my aunts would also send over baskets filled with beignets that they made themselves. 


Ramadan basket from my Christian cousins


The contents: milk, jam, cocoa powder, stuffed dates, even a small artisanal fan

Nowadays, people are expected to give not only Ramadan Sugar to their relatives but also Ramadan baskets. It can be in form of food or with other gifts such as fabric for Eid. Women are expected to give to their in laws, and men as well. Although it is less a burden on them. You can find Ramadan baskets pretty much in all shopping centers around town. Some businesses also offer them online. Over the years, we received some from family and friends, and even the workplace. I also gave away some in the past to friends. The price may vary: you can find some starting at 5000 CFA up to 50.000 CFA and more. The most common Ramadan baskets will have goodies consumed during Ramadan such as: powdered milk, sugar, coffee, tea, cocoa powder, dates, natural juice. Other would come with pastries from the local pastry shops or other kind of food. Then you have baskets that come with prayer mats and Quran and incense.



Food basket with mini chawarma, fried chicken and shrimp wraps given by my brother and his wife


Pastry basket from a local pastry shop given by my cousins

Ramadan baskets have become such a business now that many women dabble in it during Ramadan. It is actually not very difficult to make one when you have the funds. Last year my Sister in law gave us an adorable one she made. Making them is actually cheaper than buying them but it is time consuming. 


As much as I enjoy giving and receiving Ramadan baskets, this new tradition has taken very unbelievable proportions. Nowadays, giving a Ramadan basket, particularly to in laws has become a must. Women spend lots of money trying to please their in laws with great presents. Some ladies even give some to the mothers of the men they are dating, probably hoping to score good points with them. It has reached such extend that to this day some Mothers except great presents from their daughter in laws. It does not matter if the daughter in law can afford it or not. Even if the in laws are cool people who do not ask for gifts during Ramadan, society makes it such a burden on married women. I remember that I used to send money to my ex mother in law during Ramadan. I was not working at the time but I used to save up from my business to be able to send her some money. 

I think that anything that becomes forced will not come for the heart. That is why I kind of dislike this new tradition to give Ramadan baskets. I will give when I feel like it and not because society dictates it. Plus all this money would be better off spent giving it to the poor and needy. That being said, I still like to spoil my family. I no longer have in laws but I imagine that if ever I do someday, I might be giving them some kind of presents as long as they do not demand it from me. 

Ramadan is a time of sharing. I think that as Senegalese we do have a beautiful sharing tradition of Ramadan Sugar and Ramadan baskets. Anything a muslim does to please his or her family will be rewarded by Allah. Therefore I will always spent my money on my family and friend during that period of time and beyond. Yet I refuse to be in debt or burden myself to do it. I shall be done with pleasure and happiness. It is also important to donate to needy people. Actually it is even advocated to share one's meal with them. After all it is God's will.  

Comments

Most Popular

Korea Krazy

Best place to shop in Japan (Tokyo/ Yokohama)

Barbie shoes