I dream of a Trench Coat


Uchida Kyoko: Celeb (former TV announcer)

I have a secret to share with you: I have a love-hate relationship with Fall. In all the years I have lived in Japan, a country with four seasons, Fall was the only season I could not understand. One thing I could not cope with was the change of temperatures. It can be chilly in the morning, but very hot by lunch time, and then chilly again at the end of the day. It is impossible to know what to wear with such sudden changes. And to add insult to injury, I often catch a cold because my body is not used to shift.

However, I am always looking forward to Fall because of one thing and one thing only: Fall Fashion. I love wearing cardigans over long sleeve tees. I am also in awe at Fall/ Winter accessories such as the muffler, the wool hats, the leather gloves, the suede boots. Moreover, I think that a coat adds class and style to any lady. For these reasons, I am so eager for Fall to start.


Yet there was something that puts my anticipation into obsession mode.


A few days ago, I was waiting for the bus at the station. It was so hot, I decided to go cool off at the convenient store next door while checking the fashion magazines. I found this one called Domani, targeting stylish and elegant women 35 years and older. Inside they had a spread they called : Trench Coat x Shirt x Denim = elegant woman or the battle of how to wear the three items (literal translation from Japanese). The spread was part of a of the following topic: "How 35 years old women wear every day clothes?". They invited Japanese celebrities such as models, actresses, comedians to pose in the three items. The pictures were breathtaking. And they inspired me to get myself a Trench Coat.

Domani Japan
http://fanet.jp/domani/index.html

Here are the pics I took of the magazines
 


Yonekura Ryoko : Model, Actress



Chibana Kurara: Model


                                                       
                                                         Tomochika : comedian

I always loved Trench coats and bought myself several in the past. I had one in black faux leather, one in red and even one in pink. I loved them all. However I never had the chance to find myself a Khaki trench coat. In Japan, the trench coat has always been popular particularly in Spring, where it is showcased in every color of the rainbow. Japanese women would go for every style of trench coat. However, I have noticed that for really elegant women, the brand of choice is definitely Burberry (all the models in the pics were wearing Burberry). Living in Japan, I used to dream of owning a Burberry Trench Coat. However, I have to say that the price tag is not letting me fulfill that dream.

Nevertheless, I have found a way of being among the stylish ladies this year. At H&M, they sell a very interesting trench coat for way less than Burberry. The H&M Khaki trench is perfect for the stay at home mother, frugal shopper that I am. It cost barely 5000 Yen. I have yet to try and buy the beauty. But I touched it and the material looks good enough. I cannot wait for the temperatures to drop to go and get myself the so longed trench. I just hope they will still have my size.

A part from the trench coat spread, they were other interesting topics inside the Domani magazine. The entire magazine was such an inspiration I am thinking of getting a subscription. As I am approaching 30, I may not be their target audience, since it is for the Japanese woman of 35 and above. However, I may get it just to learn about style and elegance. It is a topic that has been on my mind for a while. I imagined that style and elegance comes with age. And when I see women like Mrs Obama or Jennifer Anniston, I cannot help but sigh because they are so elegant and classy. I tell myself that they were not born that way. It took them a long time to figure out what looks good on them and what works with their body. I kept on wishing of becoming like them. But I think now is the time that I stop wishing and start acting. First step: learn about style. And Domani may become my number one school book. (at least until I leave Japan)

Comments

Most Popular

Korea Krazy

Best place to shop in Japan (Tokyo/ Yokohama)

Barbie shoes