Goree (Solo trip)

 Hello Hello!

A while back, I took some time off just to relax far away from everything. I wanted to isolate myself somewhere in the country since I am not so keen on international travel at the moment. My sight was set on Goree Island that I love so much. So I booked a room through Airbnb for two nights in the middle of the week. 

I stayed for three days doing absolutely nothing except, relaxing, reading books, watching movies and walking around the island. I also did a bit of work on my side hustle. You know, I had to seize the opportunity and all. But I had so much fun, it did not feel like work at all. 

Scarf - (old) from India

Top - Kiabi

Skirt  and bag- Numero Uno

Sandals - Thrifted

This time, the island felt very different. It is usually packed with tourits even during what we consider the low season. But because of Covid, the tourists have decreased. Restaurants are operating but you only see a couple of customers here and there. The same can be said about museums. It is actually the perfect time to go if you want to avoir huge crowds. And I reckon prices for lodges and hotels are cheaper. Come Summer, I think that even the senegalese would come back to the island. Last time this year, the island was closed to people who were not living there.

Wearing a mask is compulsory while walking the streets of Goree. Or else, you could be fined.

The island also felt different to me because it was the first time I was spending the night there except for those 7 years I was in boarding school. This time I got to walk on the streets at night and it gave me a sppoky vibe. Most of the streets were not properly lit. For a minute I feared for my safety, you know being a woman and travelling alone. However,  I told myself that Goree is a safe island. It is closed knit community where everybody knew everybody. I have never even heard of major crimes being commited there. Plus there is a police station close by if ever something happens. 

I think one of my favorite thing to do on the island is just walk around and take pictures. If you are a blogger, there are so many instagrammable places on that tiny island. First of all, there is lots of greenery: big trees and flowers all around. Second of all, the houses are colorful. Most of them date back to colonial times so there is that old european style still lingering. On top of that, almost wherever you go, you have a fabulous view. 


The balcony of the room I rented

However, there were a couple of things I did not like during my stay. The first thing was the lack of diversity when it came to food. The room I was renting did not come with the possibility to use the kitchen (truth be told I did not even ask if it was possible for me to cook there). I had to eat at the restaurants by the beach. And all of them have the same menu of grilled fish or seafood with some watered down version of senegalese dishes. I know it is to please the tourists. But I can garantee you that even a tourist will be tired with the food options after one week. The prices are also not cheap but it is the same in Dakar so I did not complain. I just wished there were more options.


Yassa with grilled fish and banana plantains at Kolly Tengella restaurant

The second thing is that the sellers and service providers on the island can be quite aggressive. Women selling jewelry will follow you around and heckle you until you buy. The same can be said for young men offering to be a guide. Thankfully, I was not their primary target as I am a local. Still it is not fun to be sitting somewhere to enjoy the view and a good meal only to be intrrupted every other 5 minutes by someone trying to sell you something. 



Reading in the living room of the house I was staying


My sandals: plastic flip flops with ruffle details that I thrifted at HLM market

But in the end, I enjoyed my stay there. It was mostly peaceful and relaxing. I wanted to stay longer. But now that I experienced it, I know what to expect and get prepared in consequence. I quite like the place I stayed in but if there are more suitable options somewhere else on the island, I will take it. By the way, If you want to know more about the room I rented, go here

Stay tune for more shenanigans.  

Comments

Most Popular

Korea Krazy

Best place to shop in Japan (Tokyo/ Yokohama)

Barbie shoes