Work from Home

Hello my loves!

How are you doing?

Ramadan Mubarak to my Muslim readers!

Ramadan has started. This year will be so different. In my country, mosques are not open to the public. We will not be able to pray there after we break the fast like we always do. I think it will be hard for some because Ramadan is a time to reflect but also to share. Many people donate fresh meals at the Mosque every day during that month. And many poor people flock to the mosques in hopes of having something to break their fast. How can we keep this tradition under the curfew?

As you know, I have been working from home for over a month now. I have to admit that it can be quite challenging. As it is very new to me, I have found it hard to adjust. I love my work and in the past, I have enjoyed staying at the office working late. But one thing I try to do is not to bring my work in my home. I am even reluctant to answer work related phone calls after working hours unless it is an emergency.

But since the norm is working from home now, I am making it work by following these simple rules:


Tee- random shop in Westfield, Gambia
Palazzo pants - Numero Uno
Sandals - from Morocco, bought from my cousin
Earrings - HLM Market


Preparation
To work from home, it is necessary to have the right tools such as a computer and stable internet connection. Some might need a headset with microphone and a web camera for those video-calls. I also discovered that I need some files that are usually only available at the office. My company is very careful when it comes to personal data and confidentiality. Therefore almost all our files are to be located in the office at all times. Now that we are working from home, we had to make exceptions. I had to prepare not only necessary documents but also databases of email addresses and phone numbers of people I work with. It has not always been easy as I often forgot something major at work and had to go back to retrieve it. Thankfully now there is always someone present at the office who can send me necessary documents when needed.


Make a task list
Back when I was still going to the office, I had a task list of everything I was supposed to do in the day. I often had to forget the list altogether when something major happened. But I made it a point to complete the task list before going home. I do the same while working at home. Everyday, I know that there are things I need to do and I try to stick to the plan.


Communication
While working in a team, it is primordial to communicate. I often forget this important rule and do the task assigned without informing my peers or superiors. But I have tried to change that particularly now when we are in different time zones. I always send an email to everyone involved in a project to let them know of what I plan to do and once the task is completed. And every week, I send a completed task list to my superiors. Sometimes, I also find emails to be tricky, so I pick up the phone. Thankfully I have not had to do a video conference yet. I actually dread those things because they can be very tricky. I really wonder how people who have to do them, adjust.


Have a schedule and avoid distractions
When working from home, one can get easily distracted with ambient noise, family members and such. We all have seen the video of kids bursting inside a room while their father was video-calling a news channel. It was pretty hilarious. But in daily life it is not as fun when family members interrupt your work, however cute they are. Thankfully, my work does not require video conferencing yet. I just have to answer emails, make phone calls and prepare some documents. But I can get easily distracted with social media. So one thing I do is to check all my social media first to get it out of the way. Right after I wake up, I spend 30 minutes to an hour on social media and I am done. I proceed to make breakfast for the children and get them occupied with TV or video games (yes, terrible parenting so judge away!!!). Then I install myself in the living room and work. Sometimes the TV is on or my father joins me to discuss. But noise has never really bothered me. I can work in a loud environment. I also take short breaks to check on the children, or prepare food for Iftar. I have a schedule and stick to it. Since my work load is relatively diminished, I do not spend an entire day working, which gives me time to concentrate on other things.


These are all the things I try to make it work from home. During these stressful times, I am blessed to still have a job. It can be very tricky to work from home but if there is one thing human kind has been good at is adjusting. I am adjusting. Moreover, I know many people have lost their jobs and are even more stressed. I pray that they find some kind of relief whether is it financial aid or just another better position. Yes, we are living in hard times but if there is one thing life has taught me is that hard times do not last. Inshallah (God willing) we will see the light at the end of the tunnel.


Stay safe!


Comments

Most Popular

Korea Krazy

Best place to shop in Japan (Tokyo/ Yokohama)

Barbie shoes