Khadi

If, like me you have been studying Fashion design in India,  you cannot help but admire the wide range of fabrics that exist here. India produces a lot of fabric from cotton to chiffon, some are mass produced,  others are still weaved by artisans. I have not yet discovered all the fabrics of this land. But today I wanted to talk about one that I recently discovered. It is called Khadi.


Khadi fabrics


I usually buy Kurtas made by this company Natraj


Khadi is a hand spun or hand woven cloth primarily made out of cotton. Sometime it includes also other fabrics such as silk and wool. The fabric is very warm in Winter and cool in Summer. It is also very important to the history of India because Ghandi started wearing and promoting it to become independent from British fabrics who were then more expensive. He started a revolution movement and him and all his followers were only wearing Khadi.

I was introduced to Khadi by my husband. He went fabric shopping one day and came back with colorful but stiff looking fabric. He told me the name and since I did not know about it, I went on to research it. I was glad to discover that I already bought several Kurta in that fabric for my father and brothers. I was reluctant at first because the fabric was stiff due to heavy starch.  But later on,  my father explained to me that it was just perfect for the heat in my country. Now my husband only swears by it. And I am falling for it as well. I wonder what kind of clothes apart from Kurta can be made from Khadi.

I recently purchased a Khadi Kurta (Indian Tunic) in grey that I am also falling head over heels for. I am very partial to dress shirts (men and women's)  and If you have been reading me for a while,  you know that I want one in every color. Imagine how happy I was to discover colorful men's Kurta similar to dress shirts on sale. I went on looking for the color I wanted. Unfortunately there was always a problem of size. That is why I left with only this Grey Khadi inspired Kurta.



Men's Kurta -  Big Bazaar
Jeans -  gift
Sandals -  Thrifted 
Beaded necklace -  Sandaga market, Senegal 



 Since the Kurta is on the darker side,  I paired it with vibrant colors.

It is big, comfy, airy. It is a men's Kurta but you can style it in such a way one would never know. Obviously I went the easy way here with jeans and sandals but next time I want to feminize the kurta a bit and add a belt and heels...








Comments

Most Popular

Korea Krazy

Best place to shop in Japan (Tokyo/ Yokohama)

Barbie shoes