DIY/DIM Kaftan

Hello there!

There is nothing easier to sew than a Kaftan. And you will see what I mean after you read this.

I have a silk Kaftan bought from Zara hundred years ago ( ok,  maybe 12 years ago). I wore it only thrice but I love the thing. I always wanted to reproduce it with a fabric that is less difficult to handle. And I did just that last week.


The Zara Kaftan was actually featured on the blog two years ago 
Read about it here

I dug out this silky green Saree fabric that I bought in Jaipur last year from my fabric "vault" . It was just about two meters. I originally wanted to make a skirt out of it. But I already have enough skirt as it is. Plus the fabric reassembled a scarf so I decided to make a Kaftan.


Hemming away 

I used my Zara Kaftan as a pattern.  I folded the fabric in half and ironed it flat. Then I cut it in half at the fold. I now had two pieces front and back that I hemmed. Then I put them together by stitching the top and only leaving an opening big enough for my head. You can  measure how big you want your opening to be. If it is big,  you can even wear your Kaftan off the shoulders.

Then it was time to close the sides. I measured 9 inches inside the fabric and left a mark,  then I stitched from top to bottom for 13 inches. I did the same for the left side. I ironed the Kaftan and voila:


Kaftan -  I made it 
Cotton pants -  Big Bazaar
Printed shoes - Sandaga market 






I swear that this is very easy. You can even do it by hand if you do not have a sewing machine. If my explanations were not good enough for you,  check these tutorials here and here as well.


Remind me to stick to indoors to take pictures. Between the wind and the sun blinding me, it was not an easy shoot, lol! 




My lovely Dashiki printed sandals bought when I was home during the Summer.  

Comments

Anonymous said…
Hi there I am so excited I found your web site, I really found you by error, while I was looking on Digg for something else,
Nonetheless I am here now and would just like to say thank
you for a incredible post and a all round enjoyable blog (I also love the theme/design), I don’t
have time to read through it all at the minute but I have saved it and also included your RSS feeds, so
when I have time I will be back to read a great deal more information (),
Please do keep up the fantastic work.

Most Popular

Korea Krazy

Best place to shop in Japan (Tokyo/ Yokohama)

Barbie shoes