Home

Hello everyone. Sorry to be MIA on the blog for a while but I have been busy. The end of the year was stressful as I had to attend several school events and pack for a three weeks vacations. I went home with my family to visit my family. And I had the best time. I did no do much except hang with my family and in laws. I went outba couple of times to the hotspots of town and met with friends I have not seen in ten years all by pure chance. It was just a peaceful, stress free time. Talking with my Dad for hours, my brothers opening up to me about their future plans, celebrating my husband and Mother' birthdays,  stuffing myself on the same new year eve menu we had for the last 25 years or so and discovering the town with my kids were just magical. My only regret was not taking the time to meet my former classmates.
I never really talk about home on this blog maybe because I am rarely there. My husband says that it is because I do not like it there and if it was only me I would never go back. But in reality I love my country but ever since I was a little girl I never fit in. Growing up I prefered hip hop and r'n'b to our Mbalax national, some of our traditional values just irked me and I could not wait to leave. I was just different and still is. Living abroad has been a challenge but I liked it. I never quite fit in too but I always thought life abroad ( particularly in developped countries) was way better than at home. High speed Internet, hot showers, no power cuts and the fact that I could be alone, undisturb by neighbors or family were things I could never have at home. But as I am getting older I am slowly changing my mind. I could never be at home abroad even with all these perks. Any small problem errupts and I could be forced to leave. Plus my parents are aging. They are still healthy Thank God but I crave their company more and more. Furthermore my children deserve to be surrounded by their extended families. After all it takes a village to raise a child. Finally as my country is emerging economically there are more opportunities for me to be part of that growth. I want to contribute.
Going back will be hard. I am no longer used to certain things, unspoken rules of the society mainly family taxes ( every African knows what I am talking about. For those who do not every member of a family is expected to financially help in case of funerals, weddings, or just in every day life). I do not even think in my national language or French anymore. It will be hard but it is something that I think will be beneficial in the long run for my family and I. 


Dakar view from Mamelles Lighthouse


Other side view 


New year's eve TV diner


Sunset at Corniche


Shallow pool at Corniche


Sunset at Mamelles Lighthouse


Birthday Cake


View of Goree Island from Dakar

Comments

Most Popular

Korea Krazy

Best place to shop in Japan (Tokyo/ Yokohama)

Barbie shoes