Thrift of the day

I miss thrifting. Back when I was living in the US and Japan, it was one of my favorite activity. In Japan, it was so addictive that I did not purchase anything new for a long time.
In Pune, I do not get to thrift a lot. There a not many places where you can go and score used clothes. There are what we call flea markets but they are not the real deal as they never sell anything dirt cheap or pre-owned there. Everything is new and can turn pricey. The closest I get to thrift is when I check the street vendors on M.G.road. They have many imitations but sometimes you come across the real deal. Plus it is never really expensive. What do you except, it comes out of a cardboard box.
But recently I discovered a new place to thrift. There is this lane at the end of North Main road in Koregaon Park with street vendors offering cheap sandals and other knick knacks. Some of them sell western clothes. Sometimes you go and you can score, other times their selection is really boring. Recently I went there because I wanted to shop but did not want to spend too much money. I saw this mint Dorothy Perkins blouse and a Leopard tunic dress. The blouse was dirty but I took a chance on it. Plus it was on my shopping list. And who can resist a leopard print? Both items cost me 300 Rps (less than $5). I went home excited and immediately washed them both. Two days later I was ready to wear the blouse but surprise, surprise it is a bit tight at the sleeves. I could fix it now that I have the skills to do so. But it is such a beautiful blouse I do not want to take the risk. Plus it is not long enough so chances are that I may not wear it. Therefore the blouse goes to the "For sale" bin. (By the way, my clothes are divided in several sections: 
1-the Special occasion section: clothes I wear like once a year for a party
2-the everyday casual: clothes I wear on a daily basis
3-the dress up section: clothes I wear on dates or when we go somewhere different
4- the pajama section: clothes I would not be caught dead wearing outside except maybe to work out
5-the "to be fixed" section: clothes I want to refashion
6- the "for sale" section: clothes that do not fit or that I do not like anymore but that I plan on selling
7- the too cold for Pune section: all my heavy knits and coats 
8- the "donate" section: clothes that I will donate.
 Phew!)
The tunic dress however, fits like a glove. I really like tunic dresses of this kind but I can never find them in my size or a size bigger in here. Plus it is so soft it is like wearing a nightgown.




Open cardigan - Shimamura
Tunic dress- Thrifted (Forever New)  
Pants - Zara (More than 12 years old)
Shoes - Busy Bee (Koregaon Park)


There is a story to these pants. I bought them back in 2002 maybe and wore them twice ever since. They were in my "cold clothes" suitcase and I was very happy that they still fit after all these years (Stretch! Hello?)I love the color and the fit but they are way too long. Even with my highest wedges, they still drop to the floor. Back in the days in Zara Japan, any pants size 8 and up were always too long ( I am happy that they eventually realized that bigger size did not necessarily mean longer legs) But, maybe it is time to hem them a bit.



I was happy with my thrift but there were so many more clothes I could have bought from that place. Actually one seller was pushing a Pierre Balmain shirt on me, begging me to purchase it. It was tempting, except the buttons were so weird. Any other skilled thrifter would have seen the potential in that shirt. But me, I did not because the buttons irked me. I cannot tell you how many things I did not buy while thrifting just because there was something wrong with them. Back in the days when I did not know how to use a sewing machine, I was okay with it. But now, I have to admit that it was pure laziness that made me let go of that shirt. But I am not losing sleep over it. That thing was truly ugly.


Close up on the wedges (my camera is really getting crappier and crappier) 


Red lipstick (a first for me believe it or not) and my dear Razor pendant gifted by my Mother

It is getting cooler now in Pune. And I am so excited because it means I get to wear sweaters and jackets. I hate being cold but I do miss layering. I do miss the Fall, when Mother nature turns to gold, and you reach for a blanket at night. I just hope that the cool weather is here to stay at least until next year.

Comments

Most Popular

Korea Krazy

Best place to shop in Japan (Tokyo/ Yokohama)

Barbie shoes