DIY Mickey Mouse sequined Tee

I have been lusting over a Mickey ( or Minnie) Mouse embellished tee for a while. I did see some at the mall that were nice but I thought that I could make one by myself. So after procastinating for a while I set off to do the thing. I purchased a black tee at my local grocery store, found some sequins at the neighborhood stationary shop and begun. At first I thought I would be done in a jiffy. In reality it took me 3 months or more. But I was not working on it constantly. It was a boring task and half way through I stumbled upon this page and gasped. I realised that it would have been faster to just buy some sequin fabric, cut it and glue or sew the damn thing on the tee. Needless to say that I felt like crying. But it was too late to back down.

Yesterday I finally finished the tee only to realise that the ears are not symetric (fixable) and that the design was a bit high on the shirt ( not fixable). I could have killed myself. Nevertheless I took this baby out for a spin. And later on I fixed the issue.



Tools ( sequins, needle, thread, embroidery ring, box)

Oops! Eyes are closed!


Look of the day:
Tee- DIM
Skirt - Gap via Sunder M.G. road
Belt - 390 Mart
Shoes - Gap thrifted


Gotta learn how to do selfies without showing the camera, lol! 


If you want to attempt this project, here is what to do:
You will need:
- a black tee of your preferable size. I settled for L as they did not have XL
-  Sequins. I purchased about 5 bags of these
- thread in the same color as the sequins. I went for gold
- a velvet cloth to lay the sequins on (I used the cover of a box which made my task harder but the pro all use a velvet cloth.)
- a small needle ( small enough to let the sequins go through it)
- Scissors
- cardboard
- embroidery ring

First draw a mickey mouse pattern on your cardboard. Make sure everything is symetrical. Then cut out the shape and lay it flat on the tee probably 3 inches below the neckline and trace it with chalk or fabric pen. Put the tee on the embroidery ring so that the image of Mickey is on top.
Then sew sequins on the outline.  When u r done make sure that the figure looks nice. If not, you can make adjustments.
Proceed to fill in the image with sequins.

If you want to use sequin fabric, just use the cardboard of Mickey to cut a pattern and sew or glue the pattern onto the tee.

It took me some time but I am pretty satisfied with the tee. The next time I embark on such a project I will know what to do and will have a better result. Plus the whole thing cost me Rps 179 or more than $2 as opposed to $15 at the mall. So, it is well worth the time spent and experience gained. Don't u think?

Comments

Most Popular

Korea Krazy

Best place to shop in Japan (Tokyo/ Yokohama)

Barbie shoes