Bday Celebrations

For weeks now I have been thinking about what I was going to do for my Bday. For some reasons I wanted a week celebration. I know that I am not Kim K. and that my so not Kanye of a husband is not going to sweep me off to Italy. So I began planning the festivities in my head. First I would gather some of my friends and go Karaoke, then we will go to a fancy restaurant for lunch. Another day I will take cooking classes from my Indonesian friend (she makes a mean egg curry that I have been dying to learn). Then another day, I will go shopping to Harajuku and or Shibuya. Finally I was hoping that the hubby will get a hint and take me out somewhere nice where I get to break the nice red dress I bought months ago just for an occasion like that. (I wish!!!)
But what do you know, life gets in the way of plans. For starters I got visitors from France that I had to show the country, so I did not have time to myself, let alone plan something. Then it was the Xmas bazaar at my sons' school so every mom (myself included) was busy with the preparations. Overall, I had so many other responsibilities that having a week celebration was just bullocks.
"So what finally happened?" you may ask.
Well on the actual day of my birthday, two of my Japanese friends invited me to Bills restaurant in Yokohama. We had brunch which was very nice indeed. They showered me with gifts and I could not have been happier. Here is what I wore:
Scarf - Daiso
Sweater - Thrifted
Dress - G.U.
Necklace - Charming Charlie
Rings - thrifted and gifted
bracelet - thrifted
Pants - H&M
Shoes - Gift




I am trying this collar necklace thing!
 


Thrifted jewelry and ...
 

 
Bday gift from Hubby


 
Fritata plate at Bills
 
At night I celebrated at home with nice cakes from La Neige and by receiving phone calls and messages from family and friends all over the world.

The following day, I got to celebrate with my pal Angie. She is also a November Baby so every year we "party" together. We had Pasta at Cappriciosa and received free cakes from the place. It was so simple yet so nice. After lunch, we strolled around Motomachi looking for sweaters but ended up getting nothing.
Today was the final day of the celebrations. I had scheduled a Potluck lunch at my house. I invited around 10 friends of mine (all mothers from my sons school) and asked each one of them to bring something to eat or drink. I had so much food in my house and good stuff too: palak paneer (Indian), chijimi (Korean), quiche (French), noodles (Indonesian). I have not eaten such an International food in a while. It was like a buffet. No, it was a buffet. My friends dug in and really ate but I still have so much left over.

 
The buffet

 
Indonesian Noodles

 
French Quiche, Japanese Makizushi and Indian Bhel Puri

 
Spanish Tortilla

 
Korean Rice Cakes and Chijimi

Anyway, after we all ate and indulge in digestive cups of coffee and tea, my friend surprised me with gifts. I did not ask for anything and did not expect anything. I had only required for food and presence. I was so overwhelmed and holding back tears. But when they started singing " Michelle ma belle" (Beatles), I started to cry. I did not even recognize myself. I never cry in public or at least I try my best not to. But today, I just gave up. I cried happy tears. I felt blessed to have such good friends around who shower me with gifts. But not only that, these ladies are there for me: they ask for my help, my advice, they help me, talk to me, share their life stories, make me laugh, make me cry. Before coming back to Japan, I lived in the States for almost four years alone without any lady friend to talk to on the daily basis. I was so lonely but I stayed strong. Now I have all these women and my only regret is that I did not take more time to spend with them. In the past I had said no to so many invitations (and most of them it was not even for a good reason). But it is too late for coulda, woulda, shoulda. I will just keep on cherishing my friends and enjoy every single day with them.
Anyway, enough of the cheesy talk. Here is what I wore:

 
Crying after receiving my gifts
 
Turban - Jerusalem Halal Meat in Harwin, Houston
Dress - H&M
Jewelry - random and gift

I am done celebrating my Bday. I think 3 "parties" is enough. I am thankful, grateful. It was not what I had in mind but I am happy.. Now let me get off this blog and go praise ALLAH.

Comments

Most Popular

Korea Krazy

Best place to shop in Japan (Tokyo/ Yokohama)

Barbie shoes