Baby Shower

I assisted to my first baby shower today.
An Indian friend of mine had her shower today and I was among the non Indian guests. I was very excited to go. And days before, I was thinking about what I was going to where. Being my first shower I even did some research as to what was appropriate to wear. It inspires me to even write an article about baby shower attire (you can read it here).

However, all the preparation did not lead me anywhere. Being undecided and dressing up in a rush this morning did not help me pick an outfit I liked enough. I was comfy but a bit disappointed in myself.

Here is what I wore:



I am not smiling coz am so tired

Scarf - Langkawi night market
Coat - Thrifted
Bolero - some random shop in Machida
Turtle neck - Seoul night market
Dress - Thrifted
Shoes - ABC Mart

I had been so busy this week that I did not have time to pick an outfit for the party ahead of time. I knew I wanted something comfy because I was to rush from my son's playgroup to the shower. However I did not want to wear another jean. I knew I would probably go for a maxi dress or a maxi skirt. So this morning I just dig this dress from my closet and style an outfit around it in litterally 5 minutes.


Who's the pregnant lady now? Not very flattering outfit!

I was happy about my choice until I arrived at the shower and saw every other lady dressed in colorful Sarees and Shalwar Kazeem. I knew they would wear an Indian outfit but for some reasons, it did not registed until I saw them all. I immediately regretted not digging up my tailored made Indian outfit such as my golden Shalwar Kazeem or my green tunic complete with the Chunari (or scarf). Even my Indian friends were telling me that I should have worn it.  Nevertheless I was okay with what I wore because even if I had worn something Indian there was no way it could match the explosion of colors and prints on the Indian ladies outfits.

The coordinator of the shower wearing a beautiful blue Saree


The Indian ladies had some serious bling; my favorite a square shaped bangle


My serious bling: Peacock earrings from Forever 21

The shower started with the mum to be being blessed by the other ladies. She was given offerings of fruits and rice, and she put some turmeric on her face and body. It was all so beautiful and touching because usually it is the family that is supposed to do it. However since they are miles away, her friends got to do it for her. After the blessings, we had some Indian food that was so delicious, hand made and all vegetarian. My favorite appetizer was this green bean mash with walnut and other dried beans. It was so simple yet so amazingly good.


The appetizers, don't ask me for names...

After the appetizers, we moved on tho the games. We took turn guessing the mum's belly size, then we each tried to introduce ourselves by saying the word "baby" before each word. It was hilarious. My favorite game was when we all tried to draw a baby on a plate placed on top of our heads. Some of the babies drawn look more like insects than actual babies.

But what would be an Indian party without some dancing? We turned the music up and shook our tails. It was all easy moves so each one of us could dance. I laughed so hard. It occurred to me that I had not danced in a long time.

After all this work, we finally ate more Indian delicacies: some Choli, Palak Paneer, basmati rice, vegetable curry, Paratha and I do not know what else. Everything was finger licking good. I was so happy around all this food that I beg some ladies I met for the first time for their friendship. I told them I wanted to go to their house and eat their food everyday. They assured me that they did not cook this way everyday. Yet, to eat such food they must be lucky. I mean if I could eat like that everyday, I would turn into a vegetarian without a second thought.

Spicy, colorful and finger licking food

My first shower was a great experience. I met some wonderful ladies for the first time today but they were all so nice and warm I felt right at home. I did not want to leave. I always wanted to attend an Indian wedding (and maybe someday I will) but for today I was so happy attending the Indian baby shower. I wish my friend all the best for her and her baby.


A guest made this diaper cake herself

Comments

Most Popular

Korea Krazy

Best place to shop in Japan (Tokyo/ Yokohama)

Barbie shoes