Abidjan Day 6 and 7: More shopping and a boat ride

Hello!

I am still talking about what I did during my week stay in Abidjan Cote d'Ivoire. 

Day 6 was a Sunday. I wanted to go to brunch either in one of those fancy hotels or near the sea. But upon checking Google and Instagram, I realized that it was too late to make any kind of special arrangements. Had I made better plans, I would have either checked the Millionaire Bay (La Baie des Millionnaires) or travel to Grand Bassam. I felt a bit disappointed but decided to make the most of my day. I went to visit Cap Sud mall. Turns out it was not very far from Playce Mall. This mall was different though, a bit more luxury oriented. I checked shops such as Kiabi, Mango without buying anything. Then I went inside the Woodin store wich is a fabric store. I bought a polo shirt for my brother and fabric for my Mother as souvenirs. 


Luxury jewelry store


Côte d’Ivoire fabric at the Woodin store 

I walked around the mall a bit before trying this Italian place for lunch called Pasta E Pizza. I wanted a bit of change from local food. I ordered something different from what I usually take: spinach and cream ravioli with a meat wrap eggplant. The food was exquisite. I paid 13.500 XOF ($23 or 21€) for the entire meal and some hot cocoa. 



Hot cocoa at Pasta E Pizza restaurant 


Ravioli 

After eating, I crossed the street to go check Numero Uno. We have the same store in Dakar but I wanted to see if they sold the same products. They were having a sale but the prices were much higher than Dakar. A pair of shoes which would cost me maximum 15.000 XOF in Dakar was sold for 25.000 XOF. I could not understand the huge difference in prices. I bought some panties on sale and left. 



I then decided to check Treichville market since it was not far. Unfortunately for me, most of the stores were closed. I saw a few opened here and there. There were also many stalls selling used goods like in Dakar such as shoes and clothes. I bought more fabrics and a suitcase to carry all the extra things I have bought. I discovered at the airport in Dakar. that I had a bagage allowance of 40 Kg instead of 23 Kg. At this point, I was tired. The heat was getting to me. And there was nothing more to see. I ordered a Yango home.


Fabrics at Treichville market


Used shoes stall at Treichville market

Upon arrival, I took a small nap. Then went outside to buy some water. I saw a lady selling Plantains and I bought some. Later during the night, I reheated the left over chicken from Bushman Cafe, added the plantains and some Attieke for my diner. 


Lady frying plantains around the Airbnb


Diner 

On day 7, I wanted to take a trip down to the lagune. But before that I wanted to check a store I have been dying to see. So I headed to Ivoire Trade Center which is a building with boutiques but also offices. I went to check Nanawax store and did something crazy. I spent money. I bought a bag and a jumpsuit.


Ivoire Trade Center


Nanawax store


Me trying on some clothes

Anyway, after that I crossed the street to check the Sofitel Ivoire which is one of the oldest hotel in the city. That place was humongous. I have never seen such a huge hotel in my entire life. It was beautifully decorated as well. It had luxury stores, restaurants, conference rooms, a huge lobby, ATM, a pharmacy and even a cinema. The pool downstairs looked more like a small lake rather than a pool. I walked around the hotel taking pics. I was not bothered by anyone. It was refreshing. 



The cinema which opened at night



The pool









I went back to ITC after resting a bit at the hotel lobby. I wanted lunch before going to the lagune. There was a foodcourt with all types of restaurants: Lebanese, Japanese, local. I went to this small cafe called Africafe and ordered a local chicken wrap with French fries and salad. That place was my spot. Many people were having lunch probably office workers from the office upstairs. Most people were dressed smart or business casual. I even saw a lady wearing a bright orange suit. The place smelt like money. 


Lunch at Africafe

After lunch, I took a cab to the port. It was actually not very far from ITC but I did not know the road. I bought a ticket for 150 XOF and waited. No one could tell me when the next boat would arrive so I had to be patient. I waited an hour before the next boat came. It was a bit small, painted in green and white, the inside had orange plastic chairs. The ride was smooth and short. I got to see the Plateau. It was beautiful. After 15 minutes we stopped at Plateau. I could have taken the boat all the way to Treichville. However I was supposed to meet a former coworker later on. He was my mentor when I started working in Senegal. And he now works in Abidjan. I drove all the way to Angre 8e tranche to meet him. It was so nice to have a chat with him after so long. 




The boat



Plateau

At 7PM, I left to go check this African restaurant I had heard about called Cook Africa. On the way to my former colleague's house I passed by the restaurant. It was getting late so I just wanted take out. The place was empty when I arrived. I ordered sauce graine with rice . The price was steep but once I saw the food I understood why. They served me this big bowl of peanut butter and palm oil stew with big portion of beef and smoked fish and rice. I dugg in once I arrived at the Airbnb and it was delicious. I took two helpings but there was enough left for two other meals. 




After diner, I just passed out since the food was so heavy. I had a wonderful day. Discussing with my former coworker was the highlight of my day although visiting the Sofitel was also such a great and spontaneous find. If I had the money, I think I would have stayed there. 


Comments

Most Popular

Korea Krazy

Best place to shop in Japan (Tokyo/ Yokohama)

Barbie shoes