Abidjan Day 4 and 5: Lazy days

Hello everyone. We are still talking about my trip to Abidjan. Today we are doing a recap of day 4 and day 5.

Friday was day 4. I stayed indoors until 2pm almost. I was tired from the Yamoussoukro adventures. When I finally went out I had no idea of what to do and where to go. But I was getting hungry so l decided to check this restaurant I heard so much about on Instagram called Bushman Cafe.

 Turns out it is literally 10 minutes by car from where I was staying. The restaurant is huge. Actually I think it is more than a restaurant because I saw a reception desk for a hotel, another coffee shop and a small art gallery. 

The restaurant was uptstairs on the rooftop. It was large and had different seating areas. It was almost empty at that time expect for two couples. The open kitchen where the grilling was happening was tucked away behind some plants. The service was slow as well. I ordered a mint and lemon drink called Siam, a plate of grilled garlic chicken with plantain and an extra plate of fried yams. I was hungry. The mocktail arrived and looked nothing like a mojito. It looked like a green healthy drink but it tasted ok. Then a few minutes later my plate arrived. As soon as I saw it I knew I was not going to finish it. There was half a chicken on it, grilled to perfection with a side of plantains, a salad and two sauces. I instantly regretted ordering that extra plate of yams. What was I thinking? The food was good. Not spicy at all. I really enjoyed it but it was nothing spectacular. I ate half of the chicken, finished all my plantains and barely touched the yams. When I asked the waiter to pack the rest in a doggie bag, he gave me this look that said " you ordered too much!". The place was expensive. The entire thing cost me 16.000 fcfa ($27 or 25€). Not your average maquis prices. But I think it was worth it. I guess if I came later at night, there would have been more ambiance. But I did enjoy how quiet everything was. And I loved the decor of the place with all the art and the greeneries. 


Siam mocktail





After eating, I decided to check some malls. I went to Abidjan mall first and was hugely disappointed. There was nothing there for me. I did check a fair for African style clothes but the prices were just too high. I reckon if I wanted to try and sell here I would have to apply the same prices. But I just found everything to be too expensive. I took a bubble tea called Okinawa at an ice cream joint, Smooy, while I was waiting for my Yango. The drink was super sweet. After that I checked PlaYce mall in Palmeraie. But I arrived a bit late so most of the shops were closed. I did buy some groceries at Carrefour and left. 



Okinawa bubble tea


An Ivorian version of the Senegalese national dish

After that I just went back home. I wanted to go out all the way to Plateau to enjoy the nightlife but when I thought about the traffic I chickened out. It was almost 21:30 by the time I arrived at the Airbnb. The malls I visited were nearby. So imagine if I had to go all the way to Plateau?

On Saturday, I woke up late. I stayed in bed until almost 10 watching Netflix, eating breakfast and just lazying around.  I am not sure why but I stayed in till 12pm. Then I ordered a Yango to Adjame market, which is one of the biggest market in the city. It is on the other side of the city. It was almost 1pm by the time I arrived. The "mall" called Forum is this huge facility with many narrow alleys and three stories high. It was filled with shops selling everything and anything from vegetables, smoked fish and chicken to bags, shoes, clothes, fabrics, jewelry, even sex toys. I was looking to score some fabrics as souvenirs but also some soccer jerseys for my boys. The fabrics I found were too expensive for my taste. They are made in Ivory Coast and they cost twice or three times what I would pay in Dakar.  Or maybe I am not as good as a bargain hunter. I ended up scoring fabrics made in other African countries and China. They were so beautiful and different from what I usually find in Dakar. I also managed to buy some locally weaved fabrics. 




Buying so many fabrics was a huge mistake because now they were too heavy to carry. I was also very lucky to find some Baoule jewelry. They were cheaper here than in Dakar. I could not believe it when they told me the prices. I also got the chance to buy the National team soccer jerseys for my boys.


Local jewelry shop 


Getting my boys' jerseys flocked 

I was running low on cash so I left the market to find an ATM. Before arriving in the market, I did see my bank. After getting some cash I considered returning to the market but my bag was heavy, I was hot and tired. So I crossed the street to buy some Garba (plantains, fried tuna fish, Attieke and sauce) to go. I also managed to buy some Attieke to take back to Dakar. The price was so affordable. I am not sure what was happening but twice I saw people on the streets dancing. The first time was when I was leaving the market;  I saw a parade of young people spraying water on to each other. For a minute I thought they were doing Holi. And then later on, I saw some other young men playing the drums and dancing. There seemed to be another parade of older men dressing in traditional outfits. I wished I knew what it was all about. I got a Yango home, ate my Garba and proceeded to pack all the great things I bought. Then I watched Netflix till I fell asleep.


The place I bought my lunch from.


Attieke 



The men at the parade dressing in matching outfits





My lunch: fried tuna fish, plantains, attieke and sauce 
Total: 1200 fcfa 

 Stay tuned for part 6 and 7 of my trip. 

Comments

Most Popular

Korea Krazy

Best place to shop in Japan (Tokyo/ Yokohama)

Barbie shoes