Concert of the year

 Happy new year all!

I wish that 2024 brings you happiness, peace, love, money and great health! As they say in my country, if this year is going to be bad, may it be better than 2023.



I booked my ticket online

For the first day of 2024, I did something crazy: I went to a concert alone. One of the greatest singer in Senegal called Youssou Ndour, was having a concert.  Every new year, he holds a concert or two for his fans. As far as I could remember, I have always loved his music. My dad would put his tapes on when I was a child. I prefer his old songs but his new repertory is not bad either. However, as much as I liked the singer, I have never been to his concerts. I do not like to state this fact out loud because I must be the only Senegalese, who has never attended his concert. I had the opportunity when I was a teenager. Back then, Youssou Ndour would have a huge concert at a stadium near my house, on the 25th of December. But during that period I was more into Rap music than the local Mbalakh music. Therefore I never attended. 

In the cab, on my way to the concert.

Ever since I got back home, I wanted to attend Youssou Ndour’s concert. But since I am a snob and I hate a big crowd, I never wanted to book it unless it was a gala type event. By waiting for the right moment, I missed out on so many opportunities. Therefore, when this one came to me, I did not hesitate. I wanted to attend with a friend but everyone I knew was busy or not willing to go. Therefore I decided to go by myself.

I did not regret it.

The concert was at the Place du Souvenir, a huge open space with museums and restaurants which often host fairs. The venue is 10 minutes away from my house by car and easily accessible by foot. I arrived one hour after the venue was opened. I did it on purpose because things never start on time in Senegal. I did expect a huge queue but I did not even lign up. I presented my ticket at the gate and entered after being given a LED bracelet. There was a stage at the back of the space and seats on both sides. I hesitated to sit on the tribunes next to the stage as I would be able to see better. But in the end. I decided to sit on the left side of the stage. I could see properly. As expected there was a huge crowd, mostly women all dressed up to the nines. I have never seen so many sequins and sparkle in my life. At one point, it look like I was at a Renaissance concert. Senegalese women love to dress up, even when dressed casually, they would still shine. I saw so many in gowns, suits, cocktail dresses, cargo pants and jeans. Their faces beat to the Gods and their weaves laid. It was a real pleasure to assist to this makeshift fashion show. 

Before the concert started, there was a DJ who put popular songs. The crowd started to get wild, dancing and singing. If this was any indication of how the night would go, I was in for a real treat. I was alone but at some point some ladies came to join me. One of them asked me if I came alone. And I said yes. She wondered if I would not be lonely. And I said no! How can I be lonely surrounded by so many people enjoying themselves? 

Right past 11, the concert started. The MC was a popular TV animator who introduced some artists I knew of but never really listened to their music. Nevertheless they entertained the crowd. The surprise of the night was the arrival of the First Lady of our country. Yes! You read that right! The First Lady of Senegal, wife to the president, Mrs. Marieme Faye Sall was attending the concert sitting at the front surrounded by people like she was a commoner. 

Anyway, at midnight, Youssou Ndour made his entrance. He wanted the first part of the concert to be smooth. He wanted us to sit down and listen to him serenade us with slow songs. But the crowd was not having it. First of all, many people who came late and could not find seats (in front, because there were many left behind), decided to stand right on the alley blocking the view of most of us. We complained but to no avail. Some even stood on their seats in order to be closer to the singer and snap pictures of him. It was insane. Youssou even asked them sit down but they did not budge. In the end, everyone just stood up to sing and dance. 


The concert lasted 3 hours. Youssou sang some of his greatest hits, some I knew, some I was not really familiar with. But I had a wonderful time. I was not bored once. Actually I was in awe. I did not expect the quality of the music to be this good. His band members are some of the most talented musicians in Senegal and they showed us how it was done: between Jimmy MBAYE at the Bass, and Assane Thiam at the Tama (small traditional drum), we were in for a real treat. But we cannot talk about Youssou Ndour without mentioning Mbaye Gueye Faye, his friend, his twin, the salt in his sauce. These two have such a chemistry on stage, it is a pleasure to see them interact. A You concert is nothing without Mbaye Gueye Faye who is not only the lead percussionist but also the Hype man. He would hype the crowd, put on a show and sing the praises of You as a true Griot. 

I do not remember the last time I danced this much. At one point my knees were sore. Sadly I am getting old. But that did not stop me. I sang my heart out when he sang my favorite: No More. He even had a guest on this song: Titi, a popular Senegalese female singer. It was a wonderful duet. The second guest star was Ngone Ndiaye, another fan favorite who delighted us with her taassu (form of traditional rap). 

I went home at 3! The concert was not over but I was s worried I could not easily find a cab with the huge crowd. Several people did the same while some stayed to dance. Surprisingly, I got a cab right away. There was many policemen regulating traffic so that was not an issue. 

The concert was truly a magical experience. I did not regret it one bit. It was a great way to start 2024 off! I danced, sang, laughed and truly enjoyed myself even though I was by myself. I now understand why they call Youssou the greatest. He really put the means to have clear sound, high tech stage , and lights. I was bluffed.

I think that now that I have been to a concert alone, and did not die of loneliness, I will try and do that more often. I am tired of always waiting for friends to be free to accompany me to places or events. I have now mastered the art of dining alone, going to the movies or some events alone. Now that I have been to a concert alone, I just need to add solo travel to my bucket list. And the world will be my oyster. 


I did not take any outfit pic before the concert
But this is what I wore:
Sequin and fringe wrap dress worn as a duster - Numero Uno
Black tee - Numero Uno 
Leggings - Splash Dubai Mall
Loafers - thrifted
Turban - Centenaire market 
Bag - gift 

Comments

Most Popular

Korea Krazy

Best place to shop in Japan (Tokyo/ Yokohama)

Barbie shoes