Christmas Bazaar in Dakar

 Hello!

We have entered what Americans call the Most Wonderful Time of the Year (well amost). We are now in the last two months of the year, and Christmas is coming. And who says Christmas says presents, which means shopping which means several oppportunities to shop. I love this time of the year. First, more than half of my family is born during the last months of the year, which gives us an extra incentive to celebrate. But secondly, I enjoy buying and giving presents. And I also like good deals.

Top - Numero Uno
Skirt - Tailor made
Bag - bought in Dubai
Sandals - Numero Uno 
Fan - bought at Jaba
Ring - Aba rings

In recent years, this season is the occasion for businesses to have sales. Many big businesses offer discount. But others organize Christmas bazaar, fairs and private sales all over the city. As an entrepreneur myself, I try to participate in those fairs to market my goods and attract new clients. However, as a shopping addict, I also like to attend those events. Case in point, on the 1st weekend of november, I attended JABA which is an event organized by Xalil Cisse, or Ze Fashion Curator on Instagram. Four times a year, he organized a fair showcasing local artists but also talks with people from the industry, and concerts. He sometimes works in partnership with the governement and/or international aid agencies. He wants to promote local entrepeuneurship and artisans. This was my thrid time visiting the fair.   

This year's JABA was located at the Theodore Monod Museum which is a place I particularly fancy for it has a huge and beautiful garden.

I think I blogged about the fact that I love fairs before. It is a one stop shop for almost everything you need. On top of that, you get to meet local artisans, fashions designs, entrepreneurs who are working hard to make a living out of their art. Whenever I attend those events, I often discuss with entrepreneurs. It is a way for me to make a connection but also to learn because often than not, we do face the same issues. By buying their products you encourage them, but by interacting with them, you get to see the world from their perspective.

The other fun part of these fairs, is that you get to discover new brands or companies you have never heard of. I rely heavily on social media to get to know fashions designers for example. But by attending those fairs, I have discovered so many I have never heard of. And often those designers offer beautiful and creative things at a very affordable price. 

Atelier Fandy's creations 

Nevertheless as an entrepreneur, I often have an issue with those fairs. The main one is that it seems they are all concentrated during the last months of the year. Do not get me wrong, we do have fairs all year long. However, when it comes to Christams time, it seems their frequency is doubled or tripled. I kid you not, there is a fair happening every weekend until the end of 2023. It is understandable, those businesses want to capitalize on Christmas. However, it would be great if we could have fairs or bazaars happening all year long. How about having a bazaar just before the school year where used books and other necessary school goods will be sold to parents? Thankfully, for Eid, we have now many fairs happening. 

I think I found where to purchase my next mirror: Afdal's

As an entrepreneur, it is often difficult for me to partake in those fairs. I have a day job and often the dates of the fairs clash with my work. Yet, the most difficult part for me is to have access to those events. Most of these fairs are very selective. They do not accept anyone. They pass into reviews the businesses which want to participate. I totally understand it. For some, I have tried several times, year after year to get in without success. It hurts because it pushes me to reflect on my business.  Am I not good enough? Don't they like my designs? Or was my application not good enough? All sorts of questions go through my mind. I reckon that my business is still young and I have a lot to learn in terms of quality, standard, and marketing. I may not be at the level those organizers want. Or maybe I am not what they are looking for in terms of vendors. My products might not suit their aesthetic. Still, it is very disheartening to be told NO (or to be ignored). At one point, I even gave up on applying. Particularly when, after going to check on the fair, I realized that most of the businesses showcased have some sort of connection with the organizer. In Senegal, sadly, it is not about what you do but who you know. If you are buddy buddy with the organizer, you will automatically get a chance to be a vendor. 

Mooda

Nevertheless, it is always a pleasure to go to fairs or to participate in them. Sadly this year, I have not yet managed to participate in one. However, I do keep fond memories of those I took part in the previous years. I met so many great people and had the best time, even though sometimes I did not sell. It was all a great experience. As a customer, the event is more fun because there is no pressure to make a sale. The only pressure you have is how much money you are willing to spend. 

Awany and  Afdal's

To finish, here is a list of all the Christmas Bazaar, fairs and events that I know of,  happening in Dakar in the next few weeks: 

NameDatePlaceTime
Marche de Noel des Artisanes CreatricesWed 8 - Thu 9 Nov 2023Olympique Club de Dakar9 AM to 6PM
Dakar Women's Group Christmas BazaarSat 11 Nov 2023International School of Dakar
Festival KimpavitaFri 17 - Sat 18 Nov 2023Place du Souvenir African15 - 23 PM
Marche de l'UnionSat 25 Nov 2023L'Union restaurant10 AM to 10 PM
Dakar Natural Hair DaySat 9 Dec 2023Bodyzen
Baraka Events Entrepeneurs FairSat 9- Sun 10 Dec 2023Place du Souvenir Africain9 AM to 9 PM

It was so hot that day I had to buy a fan. 

I bought this bag for cheap at an Indian store in Dubai. The bag will fall apart soon. But I just liked the embroidery on the bag, which I will surely recycle. 

Comments

Most Popular

Korea Krazy

Best place to shop in Japan (Tokyo/ Yokohama)

Barbie shoes