DIY/DIM: Reversible cloth face mask

Hello my friends! I hope you are all staying confined and safe in this difficult time.

Now there is an entire debate over the use of masks with the coronavirus outbreak: should we wear masks or not? Are masks are efficient or not? And so on and so on. What I have learned is that masks will not stop the virus since it is tiny; but they could stop us from touching our faces, and that is a good start I guess.

Masks have always been problematic even without this Covid-19 situation. Growing up, one of the first person I saw wearing a mask was Michael Jackson. And I remember that some people particularly in Africa did not like it that much. Well, that coupled with the fact that he also kept touching his nose while on a tour in Africa did not help. People assumed it was because he thought we smelled or that we had germs. It was probably not his intention.

The first time I had to wear a mask was when I moved to study in Japan. In there, people wear masks when they are sick and do not want to make others sick. Wearing a mask was just a normal thing to do. In most Asian countries it is part of the lifestyle. I started wearing a face mask in spring when my allergies were killing me. But that was mainly because I thought I could protect my nose from the pollen.

Back home though people are not used to masks. You wear a mask, people look at you funny on the streets and try to avoid you. That changed quickly a few weeks before we had our first case of the Covid-19. We had terrible dust pollution. The entire city was covered in dust, which made it hard to breathe. Many people bought masks to protect themselves. The pollution lasted two days. I remember thinking that it would be a great exercise for when we had the Covid-19. Funnily enough, that is what happened. People quickly bought all masks and anti-bacterial gels as soon as they heard the news. And they still do. Pharmacies are running out of those items very quickly. Thankfully, we were provided some at work. Even before the outbreak, we did have some surgical masks at the office, just in case.

Anyway, today I am proposing a Reversible Cloth Mask DIY.  If you want to make a cloth mask, follow these instructions:

What you need:



- two different fabrics because we are trying to make a reversible one
- gauze or a burp cloth
- scissors
- a paper mask
- needle and thread

First start by folding your mask in half. Then put it on top of the fabric that you also folded. Trace around the mask on the fabric leaving some seam allowance. After you trace it, you can cut the fabric. The end result should look like a butterfly. Trace the second fabric and the gauze as well.



Place the gauze on top of one fabric on the wrong size, fold them and sew it by hand. When you are done, do the same process with the other fabric. 



Finally put both fabric together right side facing and sew it close at the top and at the bottom. Once you are done, flip it inside out. 



Now add the elastic band. You can cut two or one strap depending on what you like, around 15 to 20 centimeters. I used one from an old mask. Take the strap and sew it on each side of the mask. Then proceed to sew the mask closed on each open side. 


Voila: a reversible, washable cloth mask for you!



I also made a small pocket bag to keep the mask. How cute is that?



I am going to use mine at the office or for days I am feeling a bit under the weather after all of this is over. Remember a cloth mask alone is not going to prevent the spread of the virus. For more detailed information on masks, go here

Stay safe!

Comments

Most Popular

Korea Krazy

Best place to shop in Japan (Tokyo/ Yokohama)

Barbie shoes