Change of Plans (Coronavirus Outbreak)

You know what I never do? Make plans. For years I have been making plans, trying to get organized. But then God will have a say in those plans and they would be completely changed. That is why, I would just leave it to God.

However, I started 2020 with a plan of travelling. I have been inside this country for 4 years without crossing its borders. I did go to Gambia thrice, but since it is in the middle of Senegal, I have to admit that I do not consider it as another country. I just wanted to take the plane and go to a foreign land, discover new places, eat good food, do tons of shopping and just relax. But God has decided otherwise it seems.


Scarf - probably thrifted
Pleather jacket and blouse- Numero Uno
Pants - Sandaga market
Shoes - Thrifted
Accessories - Petersen Market

By now, you probably know about this coronavirus pandemic happening right now in the world. I know that the World Health Organisation is reluctant to call it a pandemic, but let us be logical here: this disease had spread to all continents except Antarctica. If that is not a pandemic, I am not sure what it is. As I type this, 111 countries have been "infected", around 111,758 cases have been reported as the death toll rises up to 3,891 people according to WorldoMeters site.  My own country has reported 4 cases of coronavirus, mainly travelers coming from Europe. And we are still tested suspected cases.


It is actually way too hot to wear this jacket but I keep it at the office for days when the AC is too strong. 

With this climate, it is hard to even think about going on a holiday, let alone take a plane. I always loved travelling by airplane. I am one of those who enjoy it even if the ride is long. I do not even mind the bland food on board. I just like planes. But the idea of being confined in a tiny place sharing the air with potentially infected person is not appealing at all. I think I can protect myself inside my home, my office, even if I go outside. But how can I protect myself in a space shared with so many different people coming from all over the globe? Have you been to airports? Have you ever transited through big airport hubs such as Dubai? Millions of people land there each day. I understand that many countries are taking measures. But this disease is tricky. How do you check a person that is infected but does not have any symptoms? Can you even check millions of people daily?


Since there is no cure in sight, I have decided to shelve my plans of travelling for a while. It hurts because it is something that I have been thinking of doing for a long time now. But it is not safe. And I am not alone. I have to think of the consequences, not only for me, but for my family and my life in general. Believe it or not, even my work has been affected by this pandemic. I do not even want to imagine what would happen if I were to be infected by the virus while I travel?


Some people are encouraging me to travel anyway because life is short and we must enjoy it to the fullest. Besides, I might stay here and be infected. And I get their reasoning. But if I stay here and get infected, at least it would not look like I went looking for it. Truthfully, I do not get people who are willingly travelling at this period as tourists. You are exposing yourself and probably putting other people at risk as well.


EKG bracelet and matching ring

 However, can we really expect the world to stop functioning because there is a deadly virus out there? People have to go to work, kids to school, companies have to keep on making profits, governments have to keep on governing. It should still be business as usual. In China alone we have seen a decline in the economy as several industries have shut down. This leads to fewer demands on oil, hence less production. Flights to infected countries for the most part have been cancelled, which means that some travel companies have had to file for bankruptcy. Even soccer games in Italy are being played in stadiums without a public. At this rate, there is even a talk of cancelling or postponing the 2020 Olympic Games in Tokyo.


These shoes are slightly big but they were selling for a 1000 FCFA ($2) at the market, it would have been a mistake not to buy them. 

I may still travel after all of this is over . I have to be confident in God's plan. It seems that He is saying "Not right now". Therefore I will wait. I just hope that all of this coronavirus would be over soon because it is causing me major anxiety.

Whether your country has been affected or not, I still urge you to follow the rules dictated by the WHO and your ministry of health:

- Wash your hands often for 20 seconds
- Clean around you at work or at home
- Cover your mouth when coughing or sneezing
- Avoid crowded places or big events
- Avoid being in closed contacts with people infected
- If you suspect that you have been infected, contact your hospital or the place in charge of the outbreak

Hopefully this will be all over soon and we can all get back to living our best lives. Stay safe!


Comments

Most Popular

Korea Krazy

Best place to shop in Japan (Tokyo/ Yokohama)

Barbie shoes