Purrrrfection


Don't you hate it when you never find the perfect thing to pair with another clothing item you have in your closet?

Hi! Today, I rant again about why it is so hard to build the perfect outfit, at least for me. 
I recently had to attend a civil wedding. I had in mind to wear this red ruched sleeveless midi jersey dress with a side pleat (Waouh! That was a mouthful!!). I had thrifted it at Colobane market a while back. I bought it thinking it would be perfect for a holiday party at work or the annual Christmas lunch we have at my Christian cousins. 

My biggest issue with the dress is that it needs to be paired with at least a jacket because I am trying to be all modest and stuff. But I looked in my closet and could not find a jacket that I could match it with. Most of my jackets are oversized. The only fitted jackets I have are printed and they would clash with the classiness of the dress. I was so upset at some point that I just gave up and did not go to the wedding (I did go to the reception that same evening though. I already had the perfect black dress for it). Mind you, I could have worn something else but I was so exhausting for trying to make my outfit work all morning, that I could not take it anymore. I undressed, stuffed all the clothes I took out back inside the closet, cleaned my room and went out to look for the perfect short or fitted jacket that would match my dress. Because I might have given up on going to the wedding, but I am not giving up on the dress. It is such a beautiful dress.  


Scarf - street vendor at Sandaga market
Dolman top and Leopard Skirt - Numero Uno
Sandals - Thrift
Bag - Guess
Necklace - Petersen market

This episode got me thinking about all the times I gave up wearing a particular outfit just because of something. Also, I hate it when my scarf is not the same exact color as one part of my outfit such as the shoes, bag or pants. Or when the shirt is not the proper shape to pair with a skirt. Or most importantly, I do not have the proper undergarment for it. It really bothers me. 


But I figured out the problem with me. I rarely buy an outfit when shopping. I just get a piece of clothing because I like it or need it without really thinking about how I could wear it. It is well known that when buying a particular clothing item, one must think of at least three other items she already owns that it can be paired with? But do I do that? Hell no!


Take this leopard skirt here. Let me come clean and say it was an impulse buy. I craved a leopard skirt (read here) and I found this gem at the shop for 50% off. I did not even care that it was a size S. I got it, went home and tweaked the waistline to fit me. Crazy right?
But I was lucky enough to have a top that could match it. Actually the great thing about this skirt is that it is beige with dark brown spots, some of the easiest colors to match. Some Fashionistas actually consider leopard to be a neutral. Therefore, finding something to match this skirt inside my closet won't be hard as long as it is something that I do not have to tuck in, because remember I tweaked the waist and it is not pretty. I gotta hide that butchered look (lol)!


Another thing I often do while shopping is buying a sleeveless item, thinking that I could pair it with an outerwear. Sometimes it works but other times it is a complete fail, because just like with the red dress, I do not have anything to pair it with. Then it ends up sleeping in my closet until I go find something to match, or just give up and give it away.  It is such a burden. 

So, as I was saying earlier, if you do not want to be like me, ending up not going to a wedding because of a dress or lack of a cover up, I suggest you buy an outfit instead of a just an item. I should have looked for a bolero jacket the moment I purchased the dress. Or at least get prepared and go look for that jacket the moment I was invited to the wedding. But like any good self respecting Senegalese woman, I always do most of things at the very last minute. 

It is so funny because for another wedding I attended two weeks ago, I was prepared even if  I was informed last minute. I already had a fabulous gown in my closet but it was black. I knew I needed a way to make the outfit sparkle. I thought about adding a belt but none of the ones I had matched. Therefore the morning of the wedding, I went to the market and bought a golden belt. I already had the gold scarf and gold shoes to match. Therefore dressing up ended up being easy breezy. 

And to have the perfect color coordination, it is better to buy items together. I know some women who buy shoes with assorted bag so they do not have to buy them separately and miss the mark on the proper color. It is such a normal thing to do in my country actually. I wonder why no one let me on the secret sooner. 


Please do not do like me and prepare for your events by doing the following:

- Try the outfits you plan on wearing weeks before the event.
- Pair it with different accessories to see which one your prefer or suit you the best.
- Take pictures and ask your friends for advice
- Go buy the piece that you think your outfit needs to be perfect well in advance
- Even try putting on your make up to see if it matches

Believe me, this will save you time and money and throwing tantrums a mere hour before the event.

Comments

Most Popular

Korea Krazy

Best place to shop in Japan (Tokyo/ Yokohama)

Barbie shoes