Private sale (or supporting local businesses)

Hi Y'all!

Can you believe we are almost at the end of January? I can't! This month went by so fast for me.

Last December, I attended a fashion show/ private sale from a local brand I like: Zadada.
Zadada is owned by the older sister of one of my friend. I started patronizing her last year around this time because I like her designs. She uses African fabric mixed with others to make very beautiful dresses and bubus that are very feminine yet comfortable.

The event was organised in a local restaurant in collaboration with another designer that makes accessories with woven fabrics. I arrived just before the fashion show started. I watched with sparkly eyes because everything was so beautiful and oh so my style. Zadada collection was inspired by Senegalese women of Nder who were known to have honor and be extremely courageous. Every piece that came down the runway was a mix of African prints, eyelet fabric, even a special kind of fabric that is from my Mother's ethnic group, which I found to be a lovely touch. I was so blown away that I could not take pictures fast enough. But here are some snaps I managed to take:


Bubu dress in eyelet and woven fabric


Eyelet and Bazin dress (my favorite)



African printed dress 



Indigo tie dye and embroidered Bubu 

I ended up buying only two articles: a purple Swiss dot maxi dress and a tie dye indigo bubu with embroidery (left one in the picture above). I wanted more particularly a beautiful Peplum dress in eyelet and bazin that was so breathtaking. But that would have been too much. I will probably order it in 2019 because it will be perfect for big events such as weddings. 

For the event, I wanted to wear something different from the usual jeans and tees. So I dug up this indigo tie dye tunic that I refashioned from my mother's dress. And I added an eyelet white dress to make the tunic pop.


Indigo Tunic - gifted and refashioned
Dress - thrifted
Belt and Shoes - Sandaga market
Bag - Numero Uno


In recent years, more and more young people in my country have started their fashion brands. Some are still struggling while others were even favored by Beyonce herself. They make absolutely gorgeous things.  I really want to support Senegalese businesses more but sometime they are expensive. Some may say that compared to European or American brands, they cost less. But the truth is that I could not care less, because I never buy big brands. I am not rich enough to afford them. The ones I own, I got them at the thrift market, dirt cheap. Local businesses sell very expensive products, some are original and quirky and I like it. But others are just too blah to justify the price. Nevertheless I get it. I studied how to be a designer and it is not a cheap and easy business. When you buy a dress by a local designer, you do not only pay for the dress, but for the shop rent, the salary of the tailors, the promotion fees and more. That is why, when someone tells me their prices, I try not to haggle. But I will not buy if it is too much for my pocket. Zadada still has reasonable prices. and I like her for that.


All this time spent watching the fashion show, I could not help but wonder when I would realize my dream of becoming a fashion designer. Maybe I should start a little something this year. I may not arrive at Zadada level anytime soon. But it is about time I stop dreaming and start doing, no?


For more on Zadada Fashion, check her Instagram page here



Comments

Most Popular

Korea Krazy

Best place to shop in Japan (Tokyo/ Yokohama)

Barbie shoes