A visit to the Musee des Civilisations Noires

Hello! Hello!

Happy New Year 2019! I hope you had a wonderful time with your family and your friends during the last days of 2018. I had a wonderful time with my entire family, but also attending weddings and parties with my colleagues and other friends.

But today, I will tell you all about the best day I had in 2019 so far. During the Winter break, I had decided to take my boys to  the new Museum that opened in December. It is called Museum of Black Civilizations. And I was very eager to check it out. I had called in advance to check the dates and the entrance fees. Turns out, the entrance is free all the month of January.

On January 3rd, I dragged the kids along. The Museum is located in downtown Dakar. It is right opposite the "Grand Théatre", near the soon to be open TER train final stop. We arrived there just before midday. The museum is big, and round in shape. It is very spacious inside, with big columns and high ceilings. The main colors are beige and brown. The exhibitions are displayed in a circular motion. And one can get from one floor to the next either by taking the elevator, or the stairs that are shaped in spiral.


Lace kimono - Petersen market
White top - Uno
Jeans - Uno
Mules - HLM market
Bag - Gift


There were several exhibitions, particularly about history of black civilization from the first humans to nowadays. We could see skeletons in display, along with maps and pictures of famous historic figures on the first floor. On the second, we could admire African arts: paintings, sculptures from contemporary artists. What fascinated me the most were the clothes on display made by famous Senegalese stylist Oumou SY. She used raw, unusual materials to make the dresses that were worthy of Paris Haute Couture. The last floors were empty but they had a terrace with a seating area and a stage. I supposed it would be for a food court and small events. 


"Don't touch!" I screamed at my boys acting the fools with this statue.


Wooden Statue dipped in Gold from Egypt


Intricate design of fishes on a stool 


Bust of an African Queen 


African Fabric (not to be confused with African prints)


Oumou Sy's dresses


Photographs of women in Senegal 


Interesting Painting 

However, the highlight for me was seeing a picture of my Aunt on display along with other famous African women. Well, I knew her picture was going to be there because she had called my father to inform him. But there is a huge difference between knowing about something and seeing it on display. My Aunt was very influential in the world of statistics in my country and in Africa. She was always an inspiration, but seeing her picture there along with famous author Mariama Ba and Nobel peace prize winner Wangari Maathai, I felt a strong urge to become more.


My son looking at the picture of my Aunt

The Museum was a delight. It is not at the level of the Louvres (I have never been so I can just imagine) but it is a beginning. I hope they get to cooperate with other museums around the world and bring us interesting exhibits in the future. When watching movies or reading books that portray museums, I always wanted to be able to visit one and just sit there and be inspired. Now, thanks to the new Museum, I can.

For more about the Museum, go to : http://mcn.sn/ (only in French)
I am not sure as to the opening hours and days but here is the address and phone number:
Address: Autoroute prolongee x Place de la Gare
Phone: (+221) 33 959 19 21

Comments

Most Popular

Korea Krazy

Best place to shop in Japan (Tokyo/ Yokohama)

Barbie shoes