Follow back!

Hello Hello!

 I have already told you that I am very present on Social media. And I also told you about the things I cringe on those platforms. Today I bring you another rant about a new pet peeve on Instagram.

I have been noticing new followers on my Instagram page. I have been really excited about it because I thought that I would finally reach 300 followers. But every week, the number would drop back to 280 without me understanding why. Then after doing some research, it finally hit me. All my new followers were just people promoting their business in hopes that I will be intrigued and use their services or at least follow them back. And I suppose most of them just un-followed me when they realized that I did not follow back. It was kind of petty. But I guess it is another strategy in this social media world.


Scarf -old from India
Top - Zara (thrifted)
Zipper cropped pants - Zara (from UNO shop)
Pumps - Consept (now closed down, Sea Plaza mall)

When using social media, I follow people not only because they follow me but because they bring something interesting to my life. Most of the people I first started following on Instagram, were fashion bloggers I was already reading. From then, I started following other fashion bloggers that they would follow. I diversified and today I have a timeline filled with (mainly) African, Black, Muslim, Curvy fashion bloggers that inspire me and give me major fomo at the same time. I also follow designers big and small, from my country or others. When I returned home, I started following many restaurants and event companies in order to get informed about what was going on in my city. But overall, when I follow someone on social media it is because I find them inspiring and funny.


I do not follow just to follow. I do not follow in search of follow backs. I follow because I like.  I actually liked so many that sometimes it can take me hours to browse through Instagram. At some point, it was so ridiculous that I started un-following many accounts. And I think I will probably do that again for my own sanity.

I see Instagram as a way of sharing my world with the world. I like the idea that someone across the globe sees my post and is happy, or feels less lonely, or is inspired like I do when I check on my timeline. Truth be told, I joined Instagram to promote my blog and I still do. But it went beyond that. Most of the things I post there do not even end up on the blog. And the things I post there do not even represent half of my life. Yet, I want people to follow me because like a new kid in school, I also want to be popular. But more than followers, I want people whom I can have a conversation with. I often commented on other people's post and it had lead to pleasant conversations. That is what I crave more than followers: conversation with my existing followers. I want to interact, I want to connect. I want to know where you are from, what you do, what you like or dislike and why you are following me.


However, I have realized that for that to happen, I also have to open up to the people following me. I have to be 'real'. Not that I have not been in the past. I am not one of those people that fake things on Instagram. Captions may be edited and pictures may be filtered but they are all real. I think people may want more. You cannot want people to be open with you when you are not with them. Recently, I made one post on Instagram introducing myself. Funnily enough in my almost three years on this app, I never introduced myself. It is quite important. And I had a few comments that warmed my heart. It pushed me to want to reveal more about myself in the future.


I recently read on twitter that one could make its timeline exactly what they wanted it to be. And that is exactly what my Instagram timeline is. I enjoyed it a lot and I will work on it more to curate it to my every needs. I cannot curate my followers, but I welcome everyone particularly those like me looking for a connection, an inspiration, an advice, but please do not follow looking for a follow back. Because it does not quite work that way with me.


If you read this blog and are not already following me on Instagram, please go check it here.
I am not asking you to follow me though. You can do whatever.


Comments

Most Popular

Korea Krazy

Best place to shop in Japan (Tokyo/ Yokohama)

Barbie shoes