Bohemian Tour

Do you want me to read your palm and tell you your future?

Well I am no palm reader but today's s outfit could have fooled you.


Scarf - old
Dress - Thrifted
Feathered mules - Centenaire market
Bag and earrings - UNO

I wore this dress for a monthly get together with my cousins on my Dad's side of the family. Every first Saturday of the month, we meet at someone's place, chat, and pay a fee to the host.The fee is already determined as well as the host for each month.


We call this get together "Tour" which means "a turn" in french. It is a very popular social gathering in my country. When I was growing up, my father used to do have one with his former college friends. Sometimes he would take my brothers and I with him and I would meet his friends' kids. We would have so much fun playing while the adults talked. I also enjoyed it when it was my father's turn to host because my Mother would cook delicious food fit for an entire army.  The tour is a way of strengthening ties between family members but also former classmates or just friends. Everyone is busy with work and family life, it is sometimes hard to maintain ties outside both. By joining a tour, you can meet up with your extended family or your friends.


The tour is also used to raise money. Every month, all my cousins and I contribute a small amount of money and give it to the host. She can use that money to solve any urgent problem or just spoil herself. My cousins also tend to dress up for the tour, favoring Senegalese Traditional clothes over western clothes. I am always pleased when they dress up because it gives me a chance to steal a particular style. And I know I am not the only one. Today, I went casual with a maxi dress because it was just too hot for Senegalese attire.


Mango Beaded and fringed bag 

I really enjoyed the tour. Before I joined, I did not even know half of the girls there. I only knew their parents. I just had a bond with one of my cousins whom I grew up with. However every month, I get the chance to know them better. They all have strong personalities, are very bossy and loud, just like their mothers. I think it is a family trait. Sometimes I do not feel completely at ease there because I have been abroad for so long, I am not aware of most of the things they are talking about. Plus, I am not really into Senegalese pop culture like the dramas, trending songs or catchphrases. Some of them also meet outside of our group and they have develop a certain complicity. They laugh at inside jokes. It can be very intimidating. Yet ,I try to blend in by asking a lot of questions and participating to the talks. I have to admit that I learned a lot already just by sitting with them.


Finally bought my feathered mules for peanuts at the market

Next month is my turn to host. I hope it will be great.





Comments

Most Popular

Korea Krazy

Best place to shop in Japan (Tokyo/ Yokohama)

Barbie shoes