Staycation

This year for Summer, I had decided to take just a few days off and get out of the city. I wanted to go to a quiet and private place. So I went with my brother, his new wife and my two boys to Mbour, which is a city a few kilometers outside of Dakar, and stayed in a beautiful house with a pool not far from the beach. More about it on the other blog.

I wanted a house with a private pool because I wanted to swim without being bothered by other people. As much as I enjoy hotel pools, I cannot see myself wearing a swimsuit in public nowadays. The reason being modesty, not liking my current body and being fearful of what people might say.  

Anyway we stayed in Keur Dan for three nights and 4 days, swimming, sleeping, eating, playing cards and doing a bit of sightseeing. 



Straw hat- borrowed from Sis in law
Cover up - Petersen market
Dress - thrifted, Colobane market
Wedges - Thrifted, Saturday Market 



On the last day, we had family over for a "Yendu" which is another word for a party that last all day. We cooked a lot of food, ate it all, and enjoy the pool. It was so much fun.

For this trip, I managed to pack four different outfits, two swimsuits and a day dress. I took an off shoulder tunic with some jeans, printed pants with a lace Kaftan and this tube maxi dress that I thrifted just the day before the trip at Colobane market.  Yet I spend most of my days in my day dress or a swimsuit. I actually dress up only when we went out for diner in Saly, a tourist trap near Mbour, and to Joal to visit my aunt. 



This dress which is sleeveless is perfect for the Summer, except for the fact that the lining underneath it is super short. I did not realize it until I wore it. All my legs were showing. Thank GOD I only wore it to take these pictures right before we left. I added this beach cover up you can wear two ways: as a shirt with the button in front like I did in the picture and like a Kaftan. I saw it being bargained at Petersen market (which is another market I will tell you about on another post). It was so cheap, I bought two. They will be perfect this Summer for the pool, or the city.


And finally, let us stalk about the shoes. They are super soft wedges that I thrifted at the Saturday market near my house. The brand is XOXO. The shoes are still in good condition and super easy to wear for it has elastic straps. I had been looking for beige wedge mules for such a long time, I was ecstatic to finally find them.


Tried to take a picture of all of us before we left. Epic Fail!





Anyway, our staycation was great. The kids enjoyed themselves tremendously. As for myself I have not been that relaxed in a long time. It was one of the most peaceful time I had since my last trip back to Gambia in March. Next time, I might go and rent a bigger house. I need to do more planning as well and find a better location. Our location was great, not far from the city yet hidden and quiet. But the beach was not up to par.  We wanted to go for a swim but we found it to be dirty. Overall the experience was great. I cannot wait to book another holiday somewhere in this fabulous country of mine. 

Comments

Most Popular

Korea Krazy

Best place to shop in Japan (Tokyo/ Yokohama)

Barbie shoes