Disappointed again!! (AFCON CUP 2017)

***I wrote this post back in 2017 but never go to publish it. Today seems like the perfect time.***

The AFCON (African Cup of Nations- Soccer) has finished and I had been slightly interested by it at all. When it comes to Sports, I am like Wendy Williams: I am interested in it only when it crosses over with juicy gossips. Another reason why I am not really into it is because my team aka Senegal has been tagged as a favorite since the preliminary rounds. And knowing my people, we get all excited about it, thinking that we already won the cup only to be let down by the players.

I have always supported the Senegalese team. Whenever they played, I would watch along with my family or back at school with my girlfriends (I was in a boarding school). But they never could satisfy me. That is why over the years,  I tone my enthusiasm down.


Old Senegalese team jersey circa 2002 - gift from my Dad and signed by players
Earrings with Senegalese colors -stolen from a friend
Beaded bangles - Sandaga market
Scarf - gift

However in 2002, things changed. Senegal was qualified for the world cup that was happening in Japan and South Korea. And they played the opening match against the former winner, France. It was a big deal because Senegal was a former colony of France. Every Senegalese you knew wanted to beat them so badly. I was studying in Japan at the time and could not escape the euphory of the World cup even if I wanted to. I even went so far as to watch the Senegalese team do a friendly match against a local Japanese team. I did not know any of the players but I got to particularly because I was surrounded by Senegalese men (mostly students like) who are all into soccer, my then boyfriend included. My father also sent me some official jerseys and other goods to put me in the mood I guess. I was still not into it because I saw how the Senegalese played against the Japanese team (which was average) and barely could make it. I was sure France would humiliate us.

The day of the game, all Senegalese from my campus plus others from other cities crammed into my friends' house to watch the game along with other foreign friends. The viewing turned into a party with everyone screaming and shouting (and hiding; my case). It was exhausting and nerve racking. In the end, Senegal beat France by one goal. I could not believe it. I was in heaven. I was so high. We did not sleep that night and we made so much noise that the Japanese neighbor called the police on us. We explained to them and they left us alone as long as we promised to be quiet. 


Pape Bouba Diouf who scored against France in World Cup 2002

The following morning, I was walking home when Japanese people passed me in the car honking. At first I did not understand why (They almost never honk in Japan). Then after the third time, one shouted "Senegal" with his fist held high. I realized that I was still wearing the Senegalese team Jersey. I could not have felt any prouder. You have to understand that coming from a small country, I always had to explain to Japanese and foreigners I met in Japan, where I was from. But that day, I did not have to introduce my country anymore. We were famous.


Senegal went on to qualify for the quarter final and we were so happy. I never dreamt of watching a world cup game (for me it was attainable as I was told that tickets were sold years in advance). But when I heard that the Senegalese Embassy would provide free tickets to Senegalese living in Japan if they show up at the Osaka stadium for the match between Turkey and Senegal, I had to go. It was a Saturday and I had an upcoming economics test on Monday. My boyfriend and I took the Shinkansen (bullet train) to Osaka (all the while reviewing our lessons on the train). But when we arrived there, we were told that the Embassy was not giving away free tickets. I was shattered. I traveled all the way for nothing. Thankfully for us, at Osaka station we met with a Japanese who had extra tickets. We took his phone number just in case. We called him and he still had the tickets but he was asking for a high price in cash we did not have with us. We searched for an ATM and paid him. That is how my boyfriend and I found ourselves inside the stadium seating with the Japanese guy and his girlfriend, wearing our jerseys ready to support our team. 


The Senegalese team at the World Cup 2002 

If you are a soccer fan, you know how the match ended: sudden death goal from Turkey. We were the last team who suffered from that ridiculous rule since it has been revoked by FIFA afterwards. I could not believe it. Even after the goal, I was like : "No it is not over! We still have time!" My boyfriend had to explain to me why it was over. I was so disappointed in our team. I did not cry but I was close. You see, I never had the chance to support my team at such a high level. One of my closest friend was Brazilian and I used to envy him. He was lucky enough to watch a world cup game where he could witness his team win. And I wanted that. I remember I use to tell him that our teams would meet for the semi-finals (and even though I was sure Brazil would win) and Senegal would win. But it never happened. I was even more crushed the following days when I learned that the team was partying instead of training. But that day in Osaka, I drown my sorrows dancing all night at a club. My boyfriend was so crushed he gave his jersey to a Japanese fan in the stadium. The following morning, after a nice breakfast at a fast food joint, we took our Shinkansen back home to get ready for our tests on Monday. The total ordeal cost me more than 50.000 yen (almost $500 or 250.000 CFA) and to this day, I still hold a grudge towards my team.



This is the reason why, I am never enthusiast when they play. I actually rather not watch the games altogether, to avoid a heart attack. I isolate myself in the house, busy myself with cooking, or I seat in the living room with a book in my hand. When my family screams, I look at the screen. That is what I did this time also. And my team disappointed me yet again. Our star player (one of the best player of Barclay Premier League) Sadio Mane missed a penalty kick against Cameroon at the Quarter final. Everyone else from the team scored but he missed. I saw it coming and could not do anything. I was crushed once again....along with 14 millions of Senegalese fans. Cameroon went on to win the cup. 


Sadio Mane, after he missed a penalty against Cameroon

I am not sure what the future holds for Senegal. We have never won an Afcon and it would be great if we do it before I am old and grey. But I am not betting 50.000 yen on it!

*** That was then, this is now: Stay tuned for next post!!!***

Comments

Most Popular

Korea Krazy

Best place to shop in Japan (Tokyo/ Yokohama)

Barbie shoes