DIY/DIM Lace sleeves swing dress (In time for Valentine's day)

This dress that I am about to showcase was in no way intended for Valentine's day as I do not have plans that day ( yet). But since it is approaching, I think it would be inspiring for those of you who have a something something planed on that day!

This dress is a mix of scarps. It comes from two different fabrics: one in lace and the other one in Lycra. The Lycra was originally an asymmetric Kaftan and trumpet skirt that my Mother in law gave me back in 2002. But I never wore it because it hanged on my body in a sexy way. I gave the skirt away but kept the Kaftan. However I never got to wear it either. Fast forward to 2014, I turned it into two capes for my sons on Halloween. Since I still had the capes with me, I thought I would make a jersey dress similar to the two I constantly wear. Inspired by this tutorial, I started to cut the fabric only to find out that I did not have enough to make sleeves. No worries, I dug in my scarps' bag and found a lace fabric that was left over from the first girl's dress I ever made for Design school back in 2013.


Me and my friend's daughter who is modeling my lace eyelet dress.

And voila, a perfect easy to wear swing dress!





Beret - Cial
Scarf - HM
Lace sleeves swing dress - Did it myself
Jeans - Gift
Shoes - Zara then Diy (read how here)
Pearl necklace - Did it myself
Watch - Gift





 I stitched the entire dress by hand because I could not stitch it on my machine. I could not figure out what tension and what kind of needle to use. It took me an entire morning but it was very relaxing. I added the sleeves using my machine first the following day, and then by hand. I think I am getting the hang of adding sleeves. They are still a bit too big but I am fairly happy with the result. I left the dress as it was at the bottom because I do not think hemming it would turn out nice.


Giving a Parisian vibe with this beret and pearl necklace.


This newly diy pair of shoes makes me so happy!


Epic fail on "blowing a kiss" pause! But I am still sending you all my love.

I do like this dress but I am still a bit self conscious about wearing it outside the house. Maybe covering it with a scarf like on the pictures might help. Nevertheless it is really an easy to do, easy to wear kind of dress. Do try it!

Happy Valentine's day y'all!

Comments

Most Popular

Korea Krazy

Best place to shop in Japan (Tokyo/ Yokohama)

Barbie shoes