Replicate (DIY/ DIM: Yellow vest)

It is not mystery for my readers that I have been dying to own a yellow dress from sometimes now. However I never got lucky at finding the perfect one. A while back, tired of searching, I decided to make my own. But it turned out to be an epic fail. Once again the sleeves were too tight. I was beginning to give up when after checking pictures on Pinterest, I decided to turn it into a vest. The project took an entire Sunday afternoon and night because as easy as I thought it would be, adding a collar was a pain. I ended up with this:



Scarf - old but rarely worn
Top - Uniqlo
Yellow vest - made it
Skinny jeans ( that still fit, Yeah!) - HM
Shoes - Forever 21
Bag - M.G. road
Watch and ring- gift from Hubby
Necklace - Clover center

I absolutely hate the collar on the vest because it is a poor job. Also, the vest looks wrinkled just because I kept on stitching over and over the fabric, which kind of ruined it. But apart from that I think I did an OK job. Next time I will just stick to collarless vest which are way easier to make and look good with  (collar) shirts.



I finally wore the vest today after hiding it for so long to have lunch with a former classmate from fashion school. She gave me compliments on it which made me see the vest in a new light. Seeing fashion bloggers I follow wearing yellow vests also boost my confidence in mine.



If you want to make a vest without collar, you just need to cut an opening at the front of a dress that is a size larger, hem the opening closed on both sides and you are done. If you have better skills, try adding a slit at the back or some kind of embellishment to make it look like a coat. I added buttons in mine.


Look at the back!




I entered this outfit for an Instagram challenge a fellow blogger has initiated which centers around thriftiness. This outfit is not really thrifted but since I made the vest for peanuts, I reckon it was good enough to be featured. The challenge is over now, but you can always check the featured outfits by using the hashtag #ABCsofthrifting or go follow @dinasdays (she is super fun and thrifty) .

So what do you think of my vest? Do you like the way I styled it?


Accessory details!


Comments

Most Popular

Korea Krazy

Best place to shop in Japan (Tokyo/ Yokohama)

Barbie shoes