Hoarder (It's a link up!)



There are traits of your personality that are yours and there are others that you inherit from your parents. I am impatient like my Dad and talkative like my Mom. During a recent trip home, I also discovered something else I got from my Mom: Hoarding.

When I am home in Senegal, I usually leave some clothes at my parents place to be washed and ironed. When I went to retrieve them, my Dad and I had to look inside many different suitcases as he is never sure where he put them. While checking them, we found some old clothes in a tiny carry-on. There were my Mother's and judging by their design, they dated back to the 90s. Most of the clothes were Winter wear ( heavy jackets) but the rest was silk shirts, scarves and skirts. When asked about the clothes, my Mom said that she was keeping them to wear during colder weather. But obviously my Dad and I both knew that she was never going to wear those clothes. My mother is a hoarder; She likes to keep things and she rarely uses them. Her closet is bursting with new (and old) clothes, shoes and bags, yet she wants to get some more. She is afraid to get rid of stuff thinking that they may come back in style or she will lose the weight and fit in them again ( she did lose the weight and went on buying new stuff).

 I get that. I am the same, I have many clothes, some purchased years ago, that have yet to see daylight. And I keep on buying. However the difference between my Mom and I is that from time to time I go through crazy phases when I get rid of all the things cluttering my closet. The nice stuff that was never worn is sold, the average used stuff is donated and the no good pile goes to the dump. Judging from those 90s clothes that we discovered, my Mother never goes through those phases (lol). 

Anyway one good thing about having a hoarder as a Mom, is that you get to find stuff for yourself like the five great scarves I took from that carry on among the 90s clothes. They were still in good shape and had a vintage feel to them. It saved me some money as I had planned to buy new scarves. The pink one below is one of them; it is in a shade I do not have in my extensive scarf collection and it is super soft. In fact, it is so soft, I have problems keeping it on my head. 


Scarf - taken from my hoarder Mom ( for all I know it may be older than me)
Tunic - H&M
Pants - H&M
Shoes - Westside
Chocker - Charming Charlie
Bracelet - H&M






By the way, I am participating in the Fashionista next door Style me Friday link up. Every week Eboni from the blog, posts a style inspiration and by Friday she submits her look. She also encourages other fashionistas to link up their style. I never had the chance to try it out until today. Leopard is a no brainer as it is my favorite print (apart from African inspired and stripes). So when I saw that it was this week Style me Friday, I did not hesitate to pair my fave leopard pants with a pink blouse. So what you think? Check out other bloggers as well as the fab Eboni at fashionista-next-door.com 



Comments

Most Popular

Korea Krazy

Best place to shop in Japan (Tokyo/ Yokohama)

Barbie shoes