Issa wedding!



 Hi y'all! 

My cousin got married recently. The thing is she married her husband legally back in 2019. They were supposed to do the traditional and church wedding back in july 2020. Then covid hit. They put the celebration on hold. We eventually forgot about it until 6 months ago when she came over to officially invite us to her wedding. I could not be happier. She is one of the best person I know. And her husband is also great. But I was ecstatic because it was another occasion to dress up and party. I love me some weddings. 

The wedding was supposed to be for two days: the traditional wedding on friday and the church and reception on saturday. But it went beyond that. First off, family came over: my aunties and cousins from other regions of Senegal (Mbour, Ziguinchor) started to come by wednesday. The previous weeks, every body would get together to see how to organize the big events. We also got together to prepare juices. Some of my cousins went shopping to buy groceries for food, and juices and drinks. Some other took care of hiring a DJ for the events, along with renting huge tents and chairs for the guests. Everyone had a role to play. One thing about families in Senegal, when there is an event, everyone contributes with money but also in labor. 

TheBissap (hibiscus leaf) juice we made. 

At some point we had more than 200 bottles of local juice. 

On thursday night, my Sister in law came over with her family to brings presents to the Bride. In Wolof traditon when a bride get married she gets two Njeuke from the groom's side: on from maternal side, and one from paternal side. A Njeuke is someone who welcomes you in the family but also should guide you. When you have a child, she should bring gifts for the baby. My Sister in law has two Njeuke, and my cousin who was getting married is one of them. She was chosen because she is close to my brother, they were born three weeks apart. When my Sister in law had her children, my cousin came through with suitcases of baby's clothes, other goodies and money to offer her. Therefore my Sister in law had to return the favor on my cousin's day. She offered her expensive fabrics, bed sheets, home perfume, a gold ring and money. It was so beautiful and moving because there was no protocole. We were just presenting the gifts and exchanging plaisanteries. My cousin was so moved but she deserved it. 


All the gifts my Sister in law gave to my cousin

On Friday, it was the traditional wedding. The groom's family was supposed to bring the dowry over. I missed it because I was busy changing at home. Plus there were political unrest that I was monitoring. Earlier in the day, I  went over to see if I could help out. But everything had already been taken care of, the advantages of having many cousins around. I spent my day talking and laughing and getting my hair and nails done by two cousins. One of them is an esthetician. And every female, from babies to senior citizen came to her to get their hair, nails and make up done. 

The dowry is usually given in goods, the bride's family give a list to the groom's family. Since they are Catholics, they brough mostly liquor, wine and beers, juice, and a huge pig to be cooked later on (among other things). Then once the bride's family accepted the dowry, they serve a traditional dish from our ethnic group made of rice, yogurt and palm oil. After eating, the dancing started. People were dancing and drinking. The funny thing about my family is that they can dance all major ethnic group's dances whether Serer, Joola or Wolof. I have to explain that we are Mancagnes but there is so much mixing happening: I have cousins who are partly Manjak, Joola, Sereer, wolof, Catholic, Muslim. It is the beauty of our country. 



Part of the dowry: the liquor and soft drink


 and the pig 

At around midnight, we finally served diner of vermicelli with onion mustard sauce and chicken. I helped out with the serving. People would gather in groups of 5 or 6 to eat around a huge plate, family style. After the service, the organisers gathered to eat together. We usually get the best part because we are the last one to eat. But this can be risky because sometimes the food can finish. However, this time there was plenty for everyone. People kept dancing till 7 AM. I danced a bit but I spent most of the time wathching people dance. I was in awe at the energy they demonstrated. At 2:30, I was done. I grabbed a cab and went home to sleep. 

For the first event, I wore a midi dress made of fuchsia eyelet, which I paired with an orange scarf and sandals.  Everyone involved in the wedding was wearing something made from the same fuchsia eyelet fabric that we all purchased from the bride's family, and/or a cotton printed fabric. Actually they were groups with different fabric: the Mother of the bride had her group of friends dressed in Green eyelet fabric, and part of the family was in fuchsia eyelet and the rest in printed cotton fabric. 

Me with my aunty and baby cousin 

(I forgot to snap an outfit pic)

Dress - custom made
Bag - Numero Uno
Sandals - gift from BFF
Scarf  and necklace - HLM market 

On Saturday, it was the main event. We started with the Church. I also missed the Bride's entrance because I arrived late. I always underestimate the time it takes me to get dressed up. However what I witnessed was beautiful. The pastor was giving a sermon explaining what the couple has to do to stay happily married. The couple exchanged vows and said I do. They also prayed together and for each other which was beautiful to see. I shed a tear or two seeing the Bride pray for her Groom. Then all the people present also prayed for them. I have never witness a church wedding before and it was such a special occasion. Outside the church, we took pictures and I went back home to prepare for the reception. 



Turban - MoussorMa
Boubou - Romzy Studio
Clutch - can't remember
Sandals - Petersen market
Ring - gift
Fan - gift from Japan


My second outfit that I wore at the church was a Boubou I had purchased months prior. I actually decided to wear it at the last minute because I did not want to wrinkle the dress I orignally planned to wear for the reception. The light boubou came in handy because it was a hot day. I paired it with a blue turban, blue sandals and a sequin black clutch. 


My niece, my mom and I outside the church 

The final outfit was a beige satin dress I had purchased in Dubai. It was sleeveless so I added a beaded short poncho, I also got in Dubai. I used the same sequin handbag and golden accessories. The satin dress was so different from anything I usually wear. I wanted to get out of my comfort zone. I liked it but it was a hassle trying to keep it wrinkle and dirt free. Plus it had somewhat of a small train, people kept stepping on.


Scarf-old
Beaded poncho - Souk in Dubai
Dress - Debenhams 
Clutch - can't remember
Sandals - Numero Uno 

The reception was in a hall not far from my house. They were many guests but we were all seated. The married couple and their parents were seated at the front on a pedestal with the cakes and decoration. I was seated with my parents, brother and children in the hall but right across the pedestal. Later on, my best friend and sister in law arrived and joined us at the next table. The bride and groom made their entrance to a christian choir song. They embrace their children, three from the groom's previous mariage. It was the second chance for both of them, making this wedding even more special. Once they were seated, there were a few speeches from each family, a toast and then the couple proceeded to have their first dance. Then they went around every table taking pictures with all the guest. Once they were done, the buffet was open. There were three different types of salad, three meats, a potato gratin, Athieke and french fries along with onion sauce. The food was so good. After eating, the ball was officially opened. My cousins and I danced till 1 AM in the morning. The bride and groom also joined us. Then they were presented with gifts. What I liked the most about the party was that there were no fuss. We were all family and we all danced together, old, young, babies. My younger boy cousins were holding my baby cousins and nephews in their arms and dancing. Most of them pulled me in when I was too tired to move. It was pure joy and happiness all around. 

The food I had


Visual of me dancing


Gift box with dragee candy inside

After 2 AM, the music stopped and it was time to go home. The party apparently continued at my aunt's house with a choir and orchestra. But I could not see myself attending. The following day, I woke up at 10 sore and with a headache. But it was all worth it! It was one of the best wwedding I have been to in years.  Congrats to the Bride and Groom.

Say Mashallah!


Comments

Most Popular

Korea Krazy

Best place to shop in Japan (Tokyo/ Yokohama)

Barbie shoes