Parisian Style

Bonjour!

 I am feeling Parisian in this outfit. Is it the beret? Is it the “petits pois” (polka dots) print?  

I am not sure. I am rather pretentious to call my outfit Parisian when I have never set foot in Paris (the Charles the Gaulle airport transit area does not really count). I have no idea what a Parisian look is, other than what I see in magazines and the Internet. I do not follow any Parisian except from a few African bloggers and content creators. I am not sure that their style reflects true Parisian style. 


 

Beret – stolen from my Mother  

Coat – Boutique in Petersen Market 

Cardigan – Uniqlo (so old) 

Top – Numero Uno 

Skirt – Zara via Numero Uno 

Shoes – Numero Uno 

Necklace – gift from my Mother 

 

What is really a Parisian style? Based on the Americans, Parisian style is effortless and chic, whatever that means. Parisian women have a “décontracté” or laid back style. They carry themselves with a certain desinvolture (casualness) – yes, I am going to show in this article that I am fluent in French- but always remain classy. I hope you understand what I am trying to explain here. For some reason or another, Americans (and British and Japanese) are obsessed with Parisian style or their idea of it. Every other season, we are bombarded with articles or blogs about how to achieve the Parisian Look. 

I get it. Paris is supposed to be the Fashion capital of the world. However, I am not even sure Parisian women would like to be categorized as having just one particular look, considering that Paris is a melting pot, a home to people from all over the world. It would be quite hard to define a Parisian look. My brother used to live in Paris. From there he developed a sense of style that was very laidback, borderline lazy. He would dress in grey sweatpants, a tee, and loafers or sneakers. I would always criticize him for being too casual. You may think that just because he is a man his style is laidback. However, I have seen women dress the same as well.  


 


For me, there are certain clothes that define Parisian style: a good trench coat, a tailored jacket, a striped sailor tee, a beret, a Chanel bag, ballerina flats and a good pair of jeans. I also noticed that Parisians like understated colors such as white, black and navy. They also like to mix the masculine pieces with feminine ones. Brands that define this look are Yves Saint Laurent, Jean Paul Gaultier and Chanel obviously, all French brands. However, you do not need to break the bank to dress Parisian, if you want to reproduce the look. You could always resort the brands such as Zara.  

 


Personally, I see the beauty in the Parisian look, but I rarely reproduce it. I love owning all the items I mentioned above (except from the Chanel Bag, I am not rich enough to own one of those yet) It is not really who I am. I have a hard time mixing casual and chic. For example, I have yet to wear sneakers with flirty dresses. I never look effortless. Actually, I am not even sure I want to look effortless. People need to know that I put lots of time and effort into looking the way I do. After all, dressing well is an art (that I would like to master). That is a conversation for another day. 

I do love me a good beret from time to time (I have four now). In addition, I die for a good trench coat. Yet my style is either chic or casual for the most part. Maybe because I have spent half of my life being super casual, I long to be chic. My chic days are reserved for work, and when I have an event, but when I run errands or meet up with friends, I am very much casual. And it suits me very well.  



I am actually quite pleased with this look I put together in less than 5 minutes, whether it is Parisian or not.The focus of this look is the skirt. I added the polka dot tank top for a bit of fun. To cover up, I pull out this blue cardigan I had purchased in Japan probably 10 years ago, but it was too chilly for comfort so I added this coat. As a finish I wore my polka dot slingbacks and my beret. I felt very chic all day but It was very cold and windy. When I was taking the pictures, the wind was blowing up my skirt and I had a Marylyn Monroe Moment. 



This look may not be Parisian but it was something I would gadly reproduce with another top and skirt. My only issue is that the skirt maybe a tad too short. I have not worn something that short outside in a while. Not only was I cold while walking outside (thankfully it was not for long) but I also felt exposed. Next time I am wearing it, I might add some leggings or tights. 


 

What do you think of this look? And what about Parisian style? 


On another note, I have recently compiled threads about Fashion on Twitter so follow me there as well. The handle is @odetofashion. I am also very much present on Instagram (@odetofashion_) posting interesting stories. 


Cheers!





Comments

Most Popular

Korea Krazy

Best place to shop in Japan (Tokyo/ Yokohama)

Barbie shoes