Photo exhibit in Dakar

 Hello Hello Hello!

I have this routine of going out with the boys whenever they come over on vacations. The weekends I have them, are often too short to do anything significant a part from eating out and visiting family. Therefore when they are on a break, I plan a day in the city. Usually it is to do something cultural. Today I wanted to show them the exhbit of Omar Victor Diop, a senegalese photographer showing at Manege gallery of the Institut Francais (French Institute).


Duster - Petersen market
Bodysuit - Kiabi
Pants - Numero Uno
Bag - Jolof Cuir Collection
Shoes - Sandaga market 

Before going to see the exhibit, we stopped over at Arirang to have lunch. Arirang is probably the oldest Korean restaurant in the city. I have heard about how good it was from my Japanese colleagues. Yet I never got to try it until the other day. The restaurant is located in the city center next to the Press cafe or Carnot street. The place itself is very cosy and simple, nothing luxurious or extra. The boys and I ordered the Arirang Set and the 22 pieces Sushi set (greedy I know). The food came one by one was it was everything I have wanted and more. Small plates (or Banchan in Korean) of pickled vegetables such as radish, cucumber and eggplant, a Wakame (seaweed) salad, vegetable pancakes and beef dumplings arrived first. We quickly attacked. The boys who are not usually into vegetables tasted everything and they liked it. Then more plates arrived: sushi, veggies and shrimp tempura. I have not had tempura in such a long time. I was so happy at how good the food was. 


Banchan


22 pieces Sushi set


Tempura

It felt like I was back in Japan for a minute while I tasted it. The course ended with some Bulbogui or Korean beef dish, some Chapjea or Konyaku noodle (noodle made of elephant yam) and some shrimp fried rice. We ate it all and did not leave any crumbs behind. I had expected the food to be quite good but not as good as it turned out to be. All the time I was eating, I was nostalgic of Japan and Korea. I also made a mental note to find some Konyaku noddles in this city. It might help me with my diet. 


Bulbogui


Fried rice

After the copious food, we went to see the exhibit. All the pictures of Omar Victor were laid in a gallery decorated with small plants. I particularly liked the blue paint on all the walls. I wondered how it would look on my future house. But the exhibition was very interesting. The boys kept asking me questions like I knew Omar Victor personally. I told them to read about him on the exhibit and to google him. My oldest thought that it was pretty naricissictic of him to be featured in all his art. I also asked the boys what were their favorite photo. I am not sure what mine was. Actually I know what is my favorite picture of Omar Victor Diop; it is hanging at the lounge of the Pullman Hotel here in Dakar. Someday I want to have it hanging on my walls or at least a version featuring me. I have been following Omar Victor Diop for a while particularly when he was present on Instagram. And I always found his work to be intense. I am happy that after touring the world, we get to see it on Senegalese soil. 










The exhibit is till November 14th so please go see it.  

Comments

Most Popular

Korea Krazy

Best place to shop in Japan (Tokyo/ Yokohama)

Barbie shoes