Somone (summer vacations)

Bonjour bonjour!

As I wrote in my previous post, your girl here took some time off from work. Since corona hit 18 months ago, I never really took leave from work. I did take a few days for Christmas last year and after Eid this year but that is about it. As a result I had over 60 days of leave. Last month I decided I would take some weeks off. I also decided that I would not stay home. So after doing my homework online, I booked a house at Somone for the kids and I.

For those who do not know, Somone is a small area less than 2 hours drive from Dakar. It used to be a little village back in the 80s. But now it is a place where the rich have their weekend homes. The beauty about Somone is that it has a beach and a lagoon. There are several hotels and places to rent but it is not as crowded as Saly, a few minutes away. The place actually reminded me a lot of Goa or maybe I was just a bit nostalgic.

I rented this three bedroom house with a pool. More on that here. We were supposed to stay four days but we added an extra day because we were having so much fun. We actually did not do anything except swim, eat, chill and watch some TV. I also created content for my blog and Instagram. We did manage to go out three times, twice to go eat in Saly and once to go visit the lagoon. 


Chilling by the pool


Reading Tintin


Eating brunch


In Saly 




View from Jomo restaurant in Saly


Chocolate fondant at Jomo beach restaurant in Saly


A boat ride on the lagoon


The Lagoon 


A beautiful house in Somone

On our last day in Somone, my sister in law came over with my niece. She jumped right in the pool and was having the time of her life. Then we drove to Saly to eat. After looking here and there we ended up in a bar called King Kong. We had tapas such as sauteed shrimps and calamari, grilled chicken and beef with french fries, spring rolls and tuna samosa. The food was a bit expensive but really tasty. The bar had some spanish music and was very lively. It was quite an interesting place although all the other customers were white. 


Eating at King Kong Bar 


Really tender grilled chicken and beef

I really enjoyed my getaway. It was highly peaceful. You would hear a car passing by the house sometimes and that was about it. It was great also because I was left alone. As long as the kids were fed and had the pool, they did not even bother me. They would actually cook their own food and I would help turn on the stove or to put the fries in hot oil.  I could sleep in without being suddenly woken up by noises or my parents asking me silly questions like what would we have for lunch (yeah that is the peril of living at home with your parents). Furthermore I could walk around in short shorts and crop tops at will. No one would give me the third eye or make a remark. Finally I got to swim in my bathing suit without a cover up because it was just the boys and I. One of my son even made the remark that there he could swim without anyone telling him that he was fat. It was liberating. 

I actually see myself returning to Somone and booking the same house again but this time just for me. It would be a great place for a writer or a painter to stay. Such lovely decor, such quietness. But would it be reasonable to have all this space just to be alone. It is a bit luxurious no? Yet I cannot help but think that I deserve luxury. And if my luxury is to have peace of mind, why not? 

After five days, it was time to go back home. I kept busy packing not to think of the time. Five days were too short. But adding more days would have ruined me. Now I get people who take weekend getaways. We are overworked and stressed all the time. It is good for our physical and mental health to getaway so that we could recharge. Plus right outside of Dakar, there are so many wonderful places to discover. Going abroad is fun and all but with Corona it is nice to concentrate on Sénégal. 

What my next stop will be? I am not sure? But I am already planning another getaway. Maybe I will take the whole family this time (if they do not get on my nerves). 

Comments

Most Popular

Korea Krazy

Best place to shop in Japan (Tokyo/ Yokohama)

Barbie shoes