Mona Lisa

Dakar is not known for having many places where kids can be entertained. What parents usually do is, to enroll their children to classes such music, sports, dance, programming or go to an  amusement park once in a while. There are also some natural parks where kids could play. And let us not forget the movie theater. But since Covid-19 hit, not many places are open. It is often hard to find an interesting activity to do with children. 

Fortunately, I was reminded that we had a Museum of Black Civilization when I saw on TV that they had an exhibit on Leonardo Da Vinci. When the kids were on break, I took them to see it.  We arrived at the Museum at around 1 PM on a Friday afternoon, after a copious breakfast at Simone cafĂ©. The museum was almost empty which was perfect for us. I got a chance to see the Mona Lisa up close. Well it is a copy of the Mona Lisa because the real thing is still at the Louvres. I was not really amazed by the painting to be honest. Maybe because I am not cultured in art. I know Leonardo Da Vinci is hailed as a genius. But to be honest the Mona Lisa is not my esthetic. I find the woman in it quite plain. What is the fuss really about?


The Mona Lisa

Anyway, we saw other paintings and read on how they were made or who they were commissioned by. After the Leonardo Da Vinci exhibit, we went upstairs where they had African art, both historic and contemporary. We saw paintings but also sculptures and art installations. I was really amazed at all the talent. It was highly inspiring. 


Jacket - Zara women
Dress - from my tailor
Booties - Stradivarius
Cross body bag - Village artisanal de Soumbedioune 

I took the opportunity to snap a few pictures because I was feeling myself a bit in my brand new dress. A few weeks prior, I saw it hanging at my tailor's atelier and could not resist. I did ask him to alter it because the dress was a bit short. I also asked him to add another sleeve because I am getting a bit self conscious of my fat arms. What attracted me the most to this dress was the color, the rich ocre color. I am really into brown colors and its pigments. But I rarely purchased them maybe because I can never find it anywhere. That is why even though the dress was not on my latest shopping list, I had to have it.




I paired it with a jacket I bought on sale last March and wore only once. I was attracted to the gypsy like design but also the embellishment. It was not my first choice of items to pair with the dress- I originally wanted to go with an oversized beige sweater- but it was a nice balance. I completed the look with my favorite booties.  I wear these shoes on the regular now. They are so comfortable and cute. And they go with everything. Actually even if they didn't, I would still wear them. I added my snake leather cross body bag and some cute earrings and I was good for the entire day. 


The earrings - Numero Uno

I leave you with pictures of some of the art work I found  at the museum. I do not remember the names of the artist but you can probably find that info at the museum's webpage. 


A sculpture called " Le Lecteur" (the reader)


Blown away by this photo, but also the angel wings made of African Prints


Art installation made mostly out of fabrics and used wrappers like powder mild wrappers 


Close up


Cotton field art installation in metal. 


Giant metallic sunflower. Can you spot the spoons?



An interesting coffin


A statue made entirely of cowrie shells and tubular beads


The Last Supper by Leonardo Da Vinci

See y'all!


Comments

Most Popular

Korea Krazy

Best place to shop in Japan (Tokyo/ Yokohama)

Barbie shoes