All American Breakfast in Dakar

Last Saturday of the decade! A great way to celebrate would be to go out dancing to some old tunes circa late 90s and early 2000s. But your girl here does not have dance partners with the same love for old times music or at least free ones tonight. Therefore I chose another way to celebrate by taking the kids for brunch.

I love brunch. I mean it is breakfast and lunch all mixed, a combination of savory and sweet, what is not to love? I am lucky because Dakar has really some nice brunch spots from the freakishly expensive to the reasonably affordable. I took the kids to the reasonably affordable brunch place called Mawa's Taste of America.



Scarf - gift
Top - thrifted at Sandaga market
Jeans - Numero Uno
Shoes - Numero Uno
Bag - borrowed from my Mom's
Sunglasses - Kiabi 

I have heard of Mawa's from friends but also on Twitter.  It is nice restaurant that serves mainly American style food, located in the Almadies area. It is actually in a nice house called Keur Mamie Charlotte. I went to the house three times before, for different events and it is one of my favorite joint in the city. It has a huge open space with lots of trees and plants, and a floor paved in white shells. I always feel at peace whenever I go there.




We arrived just before 11 AM at the place. We were greeted and seated by nice staff.  The place was nearly empty but by the time we left just after 1 PM, it started to fill up. We ordered waffles, pancakes, and quesadilla along with ice tea, mocha latte and hot chocolate. Our beverage and food arrived very quickly to the pleasure of my hungry boys. One had the waffle plate with two chicken sausages, some potatoes, two eggs well done and garnish. My other son had the pancakes with the same sides. I opted for the quesadillas because I missed Tex Mex food.


Waffle breakfast plate


Pancake plate


Beef sausage and egg quesadillas


My Hot chocolate after I scooped the whipped cream

My quesadillas could not compare to Houston's Chacho's spinach and mushroom quesadillas- which I considered to be the World's best quesadillas. But they were pretty tasty. My boys' food was all there was to be expected in terms of taste and size. One even said that the sausage had a real american taste. But what does he know? The other one could not finish his plate of pancakes. Our beverages were also nice. My hot chocolate was how I like it, not too sweet and topped with whipped cream. I think I could also taste a bit of cinnamon in it. The ice tea was cold and not too sweet with free refills that both my sons got to enjoy. We had a nice brunch discussing Mangas and enjoying the soft R'n'b music playing the background.

We left happy, satisfied, our mood improved. And my wallet did not suffer that much. Plates there cost on average around 5000 FCFA. I really enjoyed the place and can see myself going back with my entire family or a group of friends. It is very quiet and to be out in the open is highly soothing. But be careful of the mosquitoes around. The staff did put out some repellent but they suckers still managed to bite me. You could always go inside to avoid the mosquitoes.





Anyway, I had a perfect last Saturday morning of the decade. I hope y'all was better than mine!!! 

Comments

Most Popular

Korea Krazy

Best place to shop in Japan (Tokyo/ Yokohama)

Barbie shoes