To India and back again

Hello my dear readers!

I turned 39!

I started celebrating my birthday by having lunch with my sons one Sunday. I initially wanted to take the entire family out for lunch the Saturday before but some were sick, some were out of town. I was sick myself ans stayed home all day watching triggering documentaries, don't ask me why? But on Sunday I was done sulking at home. I decided to go out and make the best of the day by taking the kids to an Indian restaurant I have heard about on Twitter.


Glasses - bought from a street vendor
Dress - Thrifted
Bag - HLM Market
Jeans - Numero Uno
Leather sandals - bought from a friend

The Indian Gate restaurant is located in the Almadies Area near the Ngor roundabout. It is a tiny place, nothing luxurious or extravagant about it. We ordered Palak Paneer (cheese in spinach curry), Butter Chicken, and Chicken Biryani with butter Naan. The food was quick to arrive. And it was delicious. Not as delicious as in India, and not as spicy. But it was great. We all ate so much. The kids were not told twice to dig in. They ate it all and even asked for second helping. I had to order another plate of Naan. Actually I think we may have bitten more than we could chew, literally because it was really hard for us to finish. For the first time in a long time, I left some food on my plate because I was stuffed. In the end I ordered Chai just to be able to digest the food but also because I missed it so. The taste was a bit different from the Chai I used to drink back in India, but it was still tasty.


Butter Chicken, Palak Paneer and Butter Naan



And a little bit of Chicken Biriyani


Chai or tea

I would recommend this restaurant because the prices are really affordable and the servings are generous. I cannot wait to go back and try other dishes with the boys. Unfortunately I did not find on the menu my fave South Indian breakfast dish: Upma.  I guess I will have to look for it at other Indian joints in the city.

We ended the day walking to Kabylie, another favorite spot of mine to go get some baked goods. I ordered some Choux a la Creme, some creme brulee, mille feuilles and chocolate fondant for desserts to go. Why buy a big cake when you can try different delicacies? 




For this day, I opted for this wrap around tropical print dress I thrift about a year or more ago. I cannot believe that it had not made it to the blog yet because it is the kind of dress I really enjoy wearing. It is long enough to cover the curves, and so much fun with the ruffled hem and print. Recently I have decided that all my clothes should bring me joy. And if they do not, they no longer have a place in my closet.


The bag was an impulse buy because I just loved the shape and the quilt. I did have a quilted bag in teal back in the day, I wore everywhere. I think I just wanted to recreate the feeling with this one. It is actually quite practical and big enough to hold all the essentials and more. 



Finally the sandals have been my go to shoes the entire Summer. I am really happy I invested in them for they are very easy to wear and sturdy enough. I think I am done buying the cheap sandals at the market that will only last one season.



On an all I had a great day with my boys, eating, chatting and taking a walk around the city. I hope I have other celebrations coming my way. I have decided to celebrate all month long and nothing is going to stop that! Inshallah!

Comments

Most Popular

Korea Krazy

Best place to shop in Japan (Tokyo/ Yokohama)

Barbie shoes