Milkshakes and Monument

It is getting hot in here, but I am keeping all my clothes on. 
Still, I get why people walk around barely covered around these streets. In times like these, I just want to spend an entire day inside a cool pool.

But on a hot day like today, I took the kids to the Monument de la Renaissance Africaine.  It is not the first time or the last time I go there. In fact we have been there so many times, that the kids are bored with it already. Nevertheless, I like the place because it is a big open space and it is free. On top of all, once you climb the stairs, you have a great view of the old airport, the lighthouse and Ouakam city. The place also hosts events like fairs, parties and concerts. In fact the main reason I decided to grab the kids there was to go to a fair. However, it was so boring that I did not buy a single thing and proceeded to go have a bit of fun with the boys. 

Funnily enough, when our former President Wade decided to build the Monument back in 2010, I was highly against it. I could not understand the need for such a place. I understand the hype behind Goree island because it has a historical background. But I thought that building a monument with a huge statue (that does not really represent Africa) in the middle of the city, would not attract tourists. Clearly, I was wrong. Tourists do come and visit the Monument. And I have to admit that it is pretty good open space for kids. I just wished it had more trees that offer shades and free parks for them to play. 


Scarf - borrowed from my Mom
Sunglasses - Sandaga market
Top  and bag- random shop in Ouakam
Pants - Numero Uno
Shoes - bought from my Cousin 



When I was there, I also could not help but notice trash all around. People threw away things from empty bottle, to plastic bags. I even saw confetti and balloons. And with the wind, that trash spread all over the ground or gets tangled with the plants. It makes it very difficult to clean. I wish my people would stop throwing away things on the floor because after all, it is a public space for all of us to enjoy.  If everyone threw trash there, there will come a time when it will be too dirty to appreciate it. 




Earrings - bought from a friend
Bracelet - gift 


Anyway after our time at the Monument, we wanted to try the newly renovated Melo Patisserie. But the place was jam packed. It barely reopened and it is already full. I gotta say that my people also do not play when it comes to new It places. Everybody and myself included wants to try them. I just ordered some milkshakes to go and promised myself that I would come back on weekdays and have the place entirely to myself. I hate big crowds. The milkshakes were just alright but I had to give them props for the sugar straw they started using instead of the plastic ones. My kids ate them up. Maybe next time they will have edible cups as well.


My favorite tree in the whole wide world, Flamboyant



My son showed me this saying at Melo's and engaged in a philosophical discussion with me about whether or not achieving this was possible, while we waited for our milkshakes.

Anyway, it was so hot that in an effort to stay cool but decent, I wore my new printed palazzo pants with a white top. For some reasons, I only want to wear white in Summer, particularly white tops. I also like to wear breezy and lose fabric, hence these palazzo pants. I swear they are the softest palazzo pants I own. In fact, they are so easy to wear, I think I wore them four times on the week that I bought them. Hands down the best investment I did in a while. They are my go to pants this Summer.

What are your go to outfits this Summer?

Comments

Most Popular

Korea Krazy

Best place to shop in Japan (Tokyo/ Yokohama)

Barbie shoes