100 reasons to laugh (and to be grateful)

Ramadan is almost over. We are in the last days. I am happy because I think that this year's Ramadan is better than last year's in terms of fasting and praying. It is not an easy task to pray more and eat less but it is a journey all Muslims have to take every year.

This year, I have decided to eat better. I did not want to feel tired and bloated like I normally do when I fast. I actually found the right formula: brown bread instead of white bread, avocado with omelet or boiled eggs, oatmeal with apple sauce or slices for breakfast. And for diner, avoid all greasy food and eat early. I eat rice twice a week and other light diner (fish with salads, lentil soup) the rest of the time. Actually I felt sick only once because I went out with a friend and had Barbecue for Iftar. I did not eat that much but I dipped my bread in mayonnaise two many times while chatting. Mayo is not good for me. It gives me migraines. And that is exactly what I had the entire weekend after. Needless to say that I stayed away from it the rest of the month.

I also managed to pray some more during this holy time. I also read the Quran or at least some part of it. I know most people aim at reading the entire book. I applaud them for their effort but I will go at my own pace. I hope that someday I will master the art of reading the entire Quran before, during and after Ramadan.

And when it comes to dressing up, I have managed to dig some traditional outfits that I do not wear often. I think I already told you that during Ramadan, almost all Senegalese women stick to traditional wear they deem modest. I have not managed to wear traditional for work, but I tried going for it at least 3 times a week, on Wednesday, Thursday and Friday. This week, we had a day off on Thursday. And I was invited to attend a family event. I chose to wear this fabulous 'Taille Basse" (Peplum blouse with wrap around skirt) that I had made for Eid El Kabir more than three years ago. I also wore it the following day for work.



Outfit - Tailor Made
Fabric - bought in Kerela, India
Bag - borrowed from my Mother
Sandals - thrifted, Wednesday Market
Accessories - some old, some news
Brown tasseled mules (in the back, I wear those at the office when my heels are killing me) HLM Market 



I cannot believe that I have not worn this outfit more than three times since 2016. It is in cotton so it is very comfortable and breezy. The style is also still fashionable. That is why I always go for the classics when it comes to traditional wear; trends change every three months in my city. The outfit is also easy to wear. I guess my problem is that it has many pleats that need to be ironed. I am not a big fan of ironing. In fact, I have been known to not wear certain clothes if I need to spend more than five minutes ironing them. Therefore, I guess the next time I am going to wear this, will be in 2020. 






Needless to say that I felt pretty regal the entire day. I think you can feel my mood in these pictures.
Before I leave, let me wish my Muslim family a wonderful Eid. And please do not overeat on that day.

Comments

Most Popular

Korea Krazy

Best place to shop in Japan (Tokyo/ Yokohama)

Barbie shoes