All by Myself (Out of my comfort zone)

I had a wonderful weekend a few weeks back. There were many events happening in the city and I wanted to attend them all. I actually did not manage to for I am just one person but I went to two that interested me the most. (and a birthday party)

One of them was a small food festival called Taste it Dakar at one of my favorite spot in Dakar (which is just a house with a beautiful garden that can be rented, Jardin Keur Mamie Charlotte). There were many people selling delicious food from the continent but also abroad. It was an occasion for me to eat Sushi and Banana plantains fritters. But what was unusual for me was that I went to the event ALONE. Truth be told I rarely go anywhere by myself, except for shopping (I prefer to shop alone). I always use my best friend, my children or my co-workers as a clutch. And if they are not available, I would just stay home.


Took a selfie in the cab 

However, recently I just realized how ridiculous that was. And I have decided that if I wanted to enjoy something, I should not expect people to always accompany me. I started a couple of months ago. I went to the movies by myself. I watched "Girls Trip". The movie was hilarious and I did feel a bit sad not to have someone to laugh with. But the entire experience was uplifting. I felt also lonely at the Taste It Dakar event. But mostly I was aware of people's eyes on me because I was alone. Yet, the food I bought and tasted was good. However the event was a bit of a let down because after seeing several ads on social media, I expected it to be bigger. Well, now at least I tried it. I do not think I will go again.


Freshly made Avocado and salmon maki sushi from Sushi Bar


Banana plantain fritters and sushi for lunch

The other event was an open door for a Dance studio not so far from my house. I was curious to see what kind of dances they offered. I arrived in time to watch the Kizumba dance which I found to be sexy but complicated. I also watch some Hip Hop and ended up trying what they called "Feminine Vibe" dance. It was a combination of sexy dance moves, but nothing like pole dancing. It was sensual but not overboard. I had a lot of fun attending the class. If you have been reading me, you already know that I hate working out. In fact I would rather take a dance class instead. I used to do Zumba and belly dance back in India. But ever since I moved back home, I have not really managed to join a gym or fitness center. I would have joined the studio in a heartbeat if their prices and schedule was aligned with mine. I put it down as an option until I find something better.


On the way to the dance studio, I found this mirror with a tiger painted on it.


Can you spot it? 

That day was very interesting because I did go out of my comfort zone and most importantly my routine. I am still reluctant to go anywhere alone but also shy about meeting and talking to people. And according to some coworkers who grilled me the Saturday before at a birthday party, I need to smile more. I always walk around with 'Fuck you' written on my forehead. I have a mean mug because I am either deep in my thoughts or I do not want people to approach me. And it had been hard meeting new people, because most of them find me scary. I guess I need to change that.

Dakar is a city bustling with great events, some new, some recurrent. I do not think I can attend them all but there are a few on my list such as : concerts, fashion shows, art galleries viewing. I would love to attend them with someone but doing it alone no longer scares me. And this year, I might even plan a trip all by myself to see if I can really get out of my comfort zone. That would be something, isn't it?


Comments

Most Popular

Korea Krazy

Best place to shop in Japan (Tokyo/ Yokohama)

Barbie shoes