DIY Kente printed off shoulder top



Wow! It has been a while since I have done a Diy. And I got back in the game with a relatively easy one. (Or so I thought!)

A few months ago, I was checking out the Fidak (Foire Internationale de Dakar) with my hubby and mother in law when I saw a stylish woman walk by. She was wearing this bright red accent Kente printed off shoulder top with a contrasting printed head wrap and lots of bangles. Her style was so on point that I asked if I could take her picture. I wanted to add her to my inspiration board on Pinterest. She declined but said that I could come to her booth and buy one of her tops. They cost 12.500 CFA (less than $20) a piece. I declined her offer because it thought it to be a tad pricey for a top that looked easy to make.

I was still obsessed with her look though. So I went home and googled how to make the top. I found several links on YouTube. But I settled for an easier DIY that I found on my inspiration board aka Pinterest.

I styled it like this:




Scarf - old

Top - made it
Denim jacket and skirt - thrifted
Leggings - Star bazaar

Shoes - gift

Necklace - bought over 14 years ago at a FIDAK (Dakar International Fair)










You might note that I am not wearing the top off shoulders. For modesty reasons, I am wearing it as a normal top. That is what I like about it. I can rock it sexy by pulling it down at home or surrounded by girlfriends or I can rock it as a normal top by pulling it when I am out and about. 

The top was relatively easy to sew but I had a few difficulties figuring out the sleeves. To be fair, it had been almost a year since I had used my machine. Therefore, I needed time to get re-acquainted with the entire ordeal. The top cost me just 300 CFA (less than a $1) for the elastic (and I only used a quarter of it) since I already had the fabric at hand. But, what do you think of it all? Do you like it?

If you do, I will be giving away another one in African prints. All you have to do to enter the giveaway is like my Facebook page Ode to Fashion and follow me on Instagram at Chilelai. For now the giveaway will be only open to people living in my home country of Senegal. ( I may go international on the next giveaway. Bear with me cause it is the first time I am doing this!) More details will be posted on Instagram.
 Good luck!

Comments

Most Popular

Korea Krazy

Best place to shop in Japan (Tokyo/ Yokohama)

Barbie shoes