DIY/DIM Cowrie shells accessories

Hello my dears!! 
Today I will show you how to make or revamp your accessories using Cowrie shells.

Cowrie shells are shells from sea snails. They are very popular in Western Africa. In the past they were used as currency. And even nowadays some medium use them to read the future. But it is mostly used to make accessories. They have been popping everywhere recently, used as accessories. 

I gave this thing for Cowrie shell. I particularly fancy them as accessories. In the past, I have purchased bracelets, earrings, rings, pendants made or inspired by cowrie shells. Recently I was about to order some nice jewelry online made with cowrie shells, until I realized that I could make them easily. 
 
Waist Beads Chain with cowrie accents

What you need:
- elastic thread
- cowrie shells
- beads
- charms
- scissors 


First off, place some beads on a tray for easier use. I like to make patterns before putting them on the elastic thread. Then, one by one I put the beads on the thread. You can add as many charms and cowrie as you like. But I only added two because I did not want the waist beads chain to be too heavy. Those things are meant to be discreet after all.  Before tying the ends together, you should put the waist bead chain around your waist to see if it fits. It should not be too tight or the thread will break. 


And voila!!!


Cowrie sandals

What you need:
- cowrie shells 
- thread
- needle
- sandals (any sandals with straps will do)


I chose these sandals with fringe for a more ethnic look. 

First off I chose sandals that were soft because I knew that I had to sew the cowrie on them. I did think about gluing them but I was not sure of the result. 
Anyway, for starters, place your cowrie on the sandals to get a visual of how you want the final product to look like. You can mark the spot with a chalk if you like. I did not.
Then, use the same color thread as your sandals. My sandals are black so I used a black thread. I started to stitch the cowrie in place from the top and moved on to the bottom. Repeat until the cowrie is fixed onto the straps of the sandals. Do the same for the other shoe. 



For those who want to do some the same DIY in Dakar, I recommend going to Petersen Market to get some materials such as cowrie shells, beads and all kind of jewelry  components. I also shop at this place called Isslima in Rue de Thiong but they are a bit overpriced. 

What do you think of this easy diy? Will you give it a try? 

Cheers!


Comments

Most Popular

Korea Krazy

Best place to shop in Japan (Tokyo/ Yokohama)

Barbie shoes