Ngor - Weekend getaway

Hello!

Remember when I posted about returning to Ngor Island after so long? In that post, I mentioned my intention to explore the island further. Well, I finally did just that, and I brought the boys along.

Spontaneously, I decided to spend a weekend there. I can't count how many times I've planned a weekend on the island over the years. I even bookmarked some hotels and rental houses. Yet, somehow, I never managed to go. I didn't want to go alone and I couldn't find anyone to accompany me.

I booked a room online at a hotel I had previously visited called La Maison du Bonheur. Off we went with the boys on a Friday afternoon. I called the hotel in advance to arrange transportation since Ngor is an island and requires a boat to get there. Upon arrival at the beach, I called the number the hotel gave me and reached a boat operator. I purchased round-trip fare for the boat: 6000 FCFA for us three. We were given life vests while we waited. The beach was crowded with others waiting as well. Finally, our boat arrived, and it was smooth sailing. The sea was calm, making the ride enjoyable. We arrived quickly on the island and headed to the seemingly empty hotel. The manager welcomed us, and we checked in. Our room was on the second floor. Once we settled in, we were offered complimentary cocktails. 


Waiting for our boat to arrive on the mainland

By 6:30 PM, the boys were hungry, so we headed to the only restaurant I knew: La Maison d’Italie. The place wasn't very crowded, and most customers were about to leave. We initially wanted pizza, but they were out of it, so we settled for burgers and pasta. I ended up eating quite a lot. By the time we finished, it was almost 9 PM. We headed back to our room and watched movies until late into the night.


Alfredo pasta at la Maison d'Italie


The following day, we woke up late, around 11 AM, and ordered breakfast at the hotel. Afterwards, we explored the island. Ngor has several beaches, some less crowded than others. I wanted to go for a swim, but the boys weren't very enthusiastic. Ngor resembles Gorée Island with its narrow streets, colorful houses, and artist communities. It's also a major tourist spot, with numerous restaurants and bars offering similar overpriced food (grilled fish, seafood, chicken, or local cuisine). The main difference is that Gorée Island is quieter.


Top - Diordiana Creations
Skirt - Souk in Dubai
Bag - Kiabi
Sandals - Centenaire market




I couldn't relax on the beach in Ngor with a book because of the crowds and loud music. After our stroll, I decided to return to the mainland. We had lunch at Chez Katya, where we finally enjoyed some pizza. We also did some grocery shopping for water and other essentials before returning to the island. I thought that we would enjoy the pool upon returning to the hotel but they were filling it. They emptied it the previous day to fix a broken light. We went back to our rooms relaxing. It was not a fun evening as we expected because there was no water in the room. I will do a full review on the hotel in my other blog, so stay connected for that. 


Earrings - Soumbedioune Artisan's village


The boats departing for Ngor. You have two types: 
the big ones which are cheaper, and the smaller ones usually associated with a hotel or restaurant
which are more expensive.


On our final day in Ngor, we woke up and got ready to check out by noon. I managed to take a few pictures of the hotel. Just as we were about to leave, the owner offered us a free breakfast, likely to make up for the water shortage. The meal was very basic: crepes and juice. We ate quickly and headed to the beach to catch the boat back to Dakar.

Ngor is a beautiful island, but it’s best appreciated from afar. As I mentioned earlier, it resembles Gorée Island, but it lacks the same charm. I didn't find it as appealing, maybe because I'm biased towards Gorée. Ngor feels more commercial, with people constantly hustling to get you to eat at their restaurants or rent their lounge chairs by the sea. However, it can be peaceful at times, particularly early in the morning.


The view from my hotel room: a house with a pool that is for rent 
but only for two people.


Badam trees

I'm not sure if I'll stay overnight on the island again. After this experience, I think a day or an afternoon visit is more than enough.

Comments

Most Popular

Korea Krazy

Best place to shop in Japan (Tokyo/ Yokohama)

Barbie shoes