DIY - Cowrie embellished bag

 Hi y’all!

I am back with another DIY. 

Back when I was in Abidjan (check my articles here, here, herehere and here in case you missed them), I did some window shopping at Noom hotel boutique. I saw this cute bag in velvet embellished with cowrie shells. I have previously seen the brand on Instagram. However, I was not agreeing with the prices. 

That is why I decided to make myself a similar bag. And you can too following my instructions.

Here is what you need:

- a small bag preferably in velvet or any other soft fabric bag

- cowrie shells

- bronze jewelry or brooch (optional)

- needles and thread 

Start by positioning the cowrie shells on the bag and mark it. Then with the threaded needle, sew the cowries one by one. Make sure they are properly secure to the bag. Repeat the process until you see all the cowrie shells. And voila. 

It is super easy. I tried several patterns and finally settled on this one. The less cowrie I had, the better the bag looked to me.



I think the total DIY cost me less than 5000 FCFA (less than $9 or 8€).  What do you think? Will you try it at home?

Comments

Most Popular

Korea Krazy

Best place to shop in Japan (Tokyo/ Yokohama)

Barbie shoes